Somebody with .41 Long Colt hollow bases, can you measure the bullet length for me?

At a glance the Lightning is going to have the type of lockup as an '89; the lack of detents on the cylinder says it all.

It's different, the cylinder locks are on the back edge of the cylinder. Everything is crammed into a VERY small area.

The 1889/1892 are certainly more robust guns, though not as much as the SAA. At least with the 1889/1892 guns you can buy spare parts from Starpuss on here in the EE. As for the SAA Peacemaker Specialists sell NEW first gen parts.
 
1889 in .41 was my first antique handgun and I blissfully(and ignorantly) was happy with it as my first.Alhough it's probably Colt's grandaddy of modern double actions it's deficiencies ultimately turned me off of Colt quality for years until I recently aquired a nice example of an 1873. Next to my Remington 1875, my 1873 is my favourite shooter. Knowing what I know I would not bother with the Thunderer or 1889 and in hindsight wished I saved up the cash for an good 1873 so many years ago.
 
ive got a thunder made in 1878 and love it have another made in 1882 and its equally a nice pistol that being said the 41 long colt is about a 15 yard self defence round for 2 legged critters not bears and such its kinda like shooting an over sized .22long rifle with its healed bullet,it is good to find a source for bullets though
 
Thanks for all the info fellas, I am still looking and bidding, nothing yet!
I will be carefull for sure and everyone who posted info on reloading has to show pictures of their (I hope) hands so I can check that they have both hands and ten fingers. That way I can at least figure they are not running to hot a load ;0)
Cheers Bob
 
Back
Top Bottom