Somewhat interesting Winchester 1894 that used to live in an attic

highbeam

Regular
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Kamloops
I haven't posted in this part of the forum before, but I thought some of you may be interested in this rifle. The wood has been poorly refinished and is in somewhat rough shape from use. Also, it seems the barrel has been coated or painted with something that it shouldn't have been painted or coated with. The bore seems actually reasonably good with sharp rifling but seems to have some defects, possibly some corrosion but fairly minor. There are two rather large holes in the bottom of the butt stock that make me think someone tried adding a sling and it didn't go well. This rifle shared its home with a pre 64 winchester model 70 and a heavily sporterized lee enfield that aren't quite interesting enough to share.

I've done some of my own research in regards to age, but I only have so many resources I can reference online. As I am not the owner at the moment, a family member is, I haven't yet justified the cost of ordering some books. I also put up some pictures of a possible WW1 trench gun in the milsurp section. I was quickly informed that this rifle isn't milsurp, but I already knew that and just thought they would enjoy it as well. Sadly this one was marked with a drivers licence number or something similar with an electropen in a more than obvious location. I haven't completely determined the value for my family member but I will be doing that as I learn more about it.















 
That old girl was built 1902 & the 38-55 was a great round! As for market value not a clue? Looks like more of a shooter than a collector. The octagon to round barrel is a nice feature & maybe someone here will chime in & tell you how many were built like this rifle. Lots of guys on here in the know about Winchesters.
 
Yep I figure it's likely more a shooter than a show piece. That, to me, doesn't detract from the fact that it's a neat piece of history. Just thinking that when it was bought it was a new fancy design. I've looked into the availability of 38-55 and noticed that while it's not common it is available. Heck it's likely more common that 7.5x55 swiss soft points and I've got boxes of that.
 
The half round/half octagon barrel is a very nice feature, and she's in a desirable caliber to boot. Damn shame about all the "custom touches", but if any of us look that good on our 115th birthday, I'll be very surprised.

Considering her current state, she might be a good candidate for restoration. Turnbull could do wonders with a canvas like that.

I personally believe that everyone who ever electropencilled their SIN on a gun should be forced to eat the electropencil.
 
The .38-55 chambering and half octagon barrel makes it more desirable than a .30-30 for sure. The .38-55 is an excellent cartridge if you are a reloader. Brass will last forever and unless the bore is really bad, it'll work well with cast bullets. I have a 116 year old Winchester 1886 in .38-56 with a bore that looks like a gravel road and it shoots cast bullets with black powder reasonably well.

Chris.
 
Yeah I remember my dad going nuts with his when he got it. Luckily it wasn't done on anything that would be worth anything in the future. I just figured out the 1949 model 70 has it on the bottom of the internal magazine as well as on the top of the receiver by the bolt. It was very light there and only showed up with the light at the right angle.
 
the original 38-55 shells were a bit longer than current factory shells. That might have a small effect on accuracy. Even if you can't find any factory shells, you can anneal 30 30 shells and fire form them to 38-55

cheers mooncoon
 
the original 38-55 shells were a bit longer than current factory shells. That might have a small effect on accuracy. Even if you can't find any factory shells, you can anneal 30 30 shells and fire form them to 38-55

cheers mooncoon

Current .38/55 factory loads also have smaller diameter bullets as well. Old factory loads will work best. The new loads were pretty much .375 Winchester cases and bullets. I have heard a few guys try older .38/55's out with new ammo and figure they were shot out but groups tightened right up when fed the old Dominion loads. There are still lots to be had at gun shows.
 
Good morning,

Your Model 1894 sporting rifle was actually manufactured during 1904 not 1902. You may be interested in the more detailed date of manufacture information available from the Cody Firearms Museum.
http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/when-exactly-was-your-gun-manufactured-1404.html

The caliber and barrel configuration would usually make this a sought after collectible rifle. But, the low overall condition of the gun, holes in the stock, terrible screws in numerous locations, and the added number kill the serious collector interest/value. On the best of days you might get $800 for it.

Michael
 
Last edited:
Wow thanks, that is actually better news than I had expected. I've been getting the feeling that it has had much of its true collector value ruined by those things. That said I had an idea it would still be desirable to some as it shows that it's a rifle that lived a life.
 
Wow thanks, that is actually better news than I had expected. I've been getting the feeling that it has had much of its true collector value ruined by those things. That said I had an idea it would still be desirable to some as it shows that it's a rifle that lived a life.

I did say "on the best of days you might." Certainly not everyone is going to see it that way. As has been mentioned the modern 38-55 bullet dimensions are not the same as what this rifle's bore was designed for. There is only a few thousandths of an inch difference but it makes a serious difference as to how the rifle will perform for accuracy. Most serious shooters of these older 38-55 rifles will cast and reload their own ammo. The rifle also needs a replacement rear sight elevator. These can usually be found on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0&_nkw=winchester+sight+elevator&_sacat=71141
This guy is out of them right now but keep checking: http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_919.htm

Michael
 
Twobitrifles: Not to offend you, only a question: Where are you getting your serial number info from? I've gone to three separate sources (on the internet) for the d.o.m. for the o.p.'s rifle & there all stating it as manufactured 1902, with about 39,878 being manufactured that year. Far from an expert myself; just trying to make sure I have accurate sources for dates of various guns...
 
Twobitrifles: Not to offend you, only a question: Where are you getting your serial number info from? I've gone to three separate sources (on the internet) for the d.o.m. for the o.p.'s rifle & there all stating it as manufactured 1902, with about 39,878 being manufactured that year. Far from an expert myself; just trying to make sure I have accurate sources for dates of various guns...

Hello Dances W/,

Not offended at all. I have answered this question many times. One can look at many different SN/DOM websites as a "source" of information but until you know where the information contained in them originated you do not know if is is useful or not. Almost all of the information as it relates to Winchesters is sourced from The work of George Madis back in the late 1950's and early 1960's. Since that time much new information and real factory verifiable data has been found and is housed in the Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming. Research using this data has shown without doubt that the information originally published by Madis is not correct for numerous Winchester Models of shotguns and rifles. The problem with the internet is that badd information is easily just copied over and over and is accepted as correct. You can read more about this topic in the link I added to my earlier reply. http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/when-exactly-was-your-gun-manufactured-1404.html

If you want the most accurate SN/DOM information available and supported by the actual serial number application data kept by Winchester this is the best site: http://winchestercollector.org/dates/

Thanks for asking and I hope this helps clear things up.
Michael
 
Occasionally a Winchester comes through & dating them is the 1st thing I do. Nothing here right now... But next week that story could change...LOL!
 
Hello,

Your Model 1894 sporting rifle was actually manufactured during 1904. You may be interested in the more detailed date of manufacture information available from the Cody Firearms Museum.
http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/when-exactly-was-your-gun-manufactured-1404.html

As mentioned the modern 38-55 labeled ammunition is undersized compared to the bore diameter of old Winchesters and the accuracy will suffer. Reloading is the best bet. Because of the relatively poor condition and alteration of the finish the rifle would have very little collector interest or value. Here in the States it is worht about $500 on a good day.

Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom