Soper Black Powder Guns

plinker 777

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
70   0   1
Can anyone point me in the direction or provide any information for a maker/makers of Soper Black powder guns.In an earlier thread someone had mentioned a Philo Soper being considered the best of the Soper guns.Any and all information would be greatly appreciated:D
 
you will find him and several other Sopers listed in Canadian Gunsmiths from 1608 but only as a date and location. He is probably listed also in die Neue Stockel but at $300+ for the two or three volumes second hand, you are going to be hard pressed to find someone with a copy and even then will find little further than probably address of his business.
There are also english Sopers. I think you will find there are a lot of small local gunsmiths for who there is very little information unless perhaps a museum in their home town has information on them

cheers mooncoon
 
Philo Soper was considered to be the most talented of the Canadian Sopers. I believe WH Soper was the first gunsmith to operate in London, CW.
 
The Canadian Gunsmiths book list a William, Philo, Robert W and a John W Soper and they had the Dominion Gun Works in London in the 1870's. they are listed as being working from 1849 to around 1886
John
 
Thanks John, These are distant relatives of my family. I was aware of the Soper's in London but had no idea they were gunsmiths! Any idea if their firearms are still available or can be found for sale and condition depending what would these guns be worth?.....I've never shot black powder before....but if I can find one of these that will change:D
 
I have one that is not the best but yes there are some around and for sale at times. Again condition makes the differnece in price. I now Epp's had some Canadian guns listed a while ago not sure if there were any Soper's but they seem to be gettting some decent stuff lately
John
 
Back
Top Bottom