Source for .44 Russian ammo

swampdog

Regular
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Just wondering, how readily available is .44 Russian ammo? A search hasn't turned up any ready to shoot ammo in Canada.

Is everyone reloading or converting the guns to .44 S&W?
 
I believe there is some comercial cowboy loaded 44 russian ammo floating around, might try Epps or a WTB ad on EE.
Otherwise I suspect most folks reload for their antique irons. I don't see 44 S&W being a better option from availability or shootability side. I beleive the original round utilized a heeled bullet which typically is a little more challenging from an reloading and accuracy perspective. Russian brass and dies are very easily sourced(inexpensive too) and very easy to reload.
 
The .44 american was a heeled bullet, but the .44 russian loads just like any other round. You can use .44 mag lead, brass is easy to find or cut down from .44mag/spec., and it's a very accurate round. If it's for an original gun, don't use hard cast lead. Probably one of the easiest older rounds to reload for.
 
Thanks for the replies. I haven't bought a .44 Russian yet but am thinking of looking for one. Before making the leap, it doesn't hurt to check out the ammo question.
 
You might find some .44 russian ammo if you look, but it won't be common and it will likely be expensive. I'd definitely go the reloading route if you have that option.

Starline makes excellent .44 russian brass. Any .429/.430 cast bullets for the .44 special or magnum will work, but I'd try for something in the .200-220gr range just to keep pressures down a tad.

Mystic Precision can order the brass (IIRC it's about $25/100). Lee makes .44 Russian reloading dies.
 
Back
Top Bottom