Source for Black Powder and Caps in GTA

gunnarheim

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting into black powder revolvers and I am looking for a source to buy powder, balls and percussion caps in the Toronto area. Also considering buying online but I can't find anyone that stocks black powder. Anybody have any recommendations as to a good source?
 
Try RustyWood in BC .... good folks to deal with ... and all the black powder you want .... and they have caps as well ...

http://www.rustywood.ca/shop/black-powder/

They should also have balls, patches etc. .... if not there is Track of the Wolf in the states .... they have everything related to black powder shooting that you can imagine ... All my orders went through with them and arrived here without any issues ....

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/1
 
Last edited:
Hard to get around Toronto in FLGS etc.

Maybe Elwood Epps but that is a bit of a drive north of Barrie.

Canadian tire used to stock stuff. I remember I bought the last case of musket caps from the Port Perry one and they told me they were not reordering.

Low volume seller for them.
 
Try RustyWood in BC .... good folks to deal with ... and all the black powder you want .... and they have caps as well ...

http://www.rustywood.ca/shop/black-powder/

They should also have balls, patches etc. .... if not there is Track of the Wolf in the states .... they have everything related to black powder shooting that you can imagine ... All my orders went through with them and arrived here without any issues ....

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/1

Why the heck would he get black powder and caps from BC when he has the best source in Canada not too far away in Ancaster, just little west of Hamilton? http://www.hummason.com/eng/
 
For the price of pistol lead round ball, I would buy them and not cast. Casting is not the healthiest thing to do often and cheap lead is harder to find. Also if you're in T.O. am sure your neighbours will not want you lead fumes blowing into there yard lol.

Things I've learned

-Using real Black powder FFFg

-Use Remington #10 caps

-Buy a revolver capper "not a rifle type"

-Buy aftermarket nipples

-Grease wads are way easier

-Buy/make a revolver loading stand "must have!"

-Be prepare to fix QC issue's like burrs, timing, short arbor, wedge issues

-Ballistol is your new CLP

-Black Powder shooting is a hell of a good time!
 
Last edited:
Try RustyWood in BC .... good folks to deal with ... and all the black powder you want .... and they have caps as well ...

http://www.rustywood.ca/shop/black-powder/

They should also have balls, patches etc. .... if not there is Track of the Wolf in the states .... they have everything related to black powder shooting that you can imagine ... All my orders went through with them and arrived here without any issues ....

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/1

Rusty Wood does not ship black powder until further notice. This is according to their website.
 
Well, if you are ever in the USA just buy it there! Firstly, it is not a restricted item for export from the USA. Muzzle loaders and all associated bits are free and clear to export from the USA. On the Canadian side each adult is allowed to import 9 Kg's of black powder per trip as long as it is in one pound containers. David
 
I buy my powder and caps at hummasons in ancaster. I make my own lubed wads and cast my own balls. Black powder it really fun to get into !

What I have learned so far:

Real black powder (FFFG) is far superior to substitutes

Remington caps are more consistent in size

Replace all nipples that come with piettas with aftermarket ones or give each cap a pinch before putting them on

Making your own lubed felt wads it not worth doing unless you shoot a ton

Casting your own balls allows for a perfect fit for each gun

Ballistol and hot water are your go to

Letting your friends shoot BP will help spread the love for it
 
I buy my powder and caps at hummasons in ancaster. I make my own lubed wads and cast my own balls. Black powder it really fun to get into !

What I have learned so far:

Real black powder (FFFG) is far superior to substitutes

Remington caps are more consistent in size

Replace all nipples that come with piettas with aftermarket ones or give each cap a pinch before putting them on

Making your own lubed felt wads it not worth doing unless you shoot a ton

Casting your own balls allows for a perfect fit for each gun

Ballistol and hot water are your go to

Letting your friends shoot BP will help spread the love for it

Thanks for the great advice. Much appreciated.
 
Back
Top Bottom