South African surplus...

Now here's the thing. I've been dealing with the ERD for a long time and I've found the newer folks are not only willing to discuss change, they will work eagerly to implement it. I have another meeting with them on Friday and I will bring this issue to their attention, and see what (if any) progessive thoughts I might inspire. The folks I'm meeting aren't quite the ones that need to make the changes but it will be a good start to get some ideas. Wish me luck.

Damn right good luck! Keep us posted!

-M
 
It's not that they have prohibited the ammunition, it just hasn't been put on the List of Authorized Explosives. No one here aside from CanAm and myself likely knows how the system works, so I'll explain it briefly.

All explosives, be it roman candles, dynamite, ammunition, air bag inflators, or sparklers, are prohibited from entering the country until they have been submitted to the Canadian Explosives Research Laboratory (CERL) for testing and approval. This is to ensure the explosives that are sold and used in the country are the safest in the world, and Canada's track record with explosives safety is excellent as a result.

The problem is this policy is applied equally to all types of explosives, including ammunition. Sometimes unfairly, the policies do not facilitate the easy approval of articles as a result. And yes, only the manufacturer or authorized agent thereof is able to submit an article for approval which likely puts CanAm in an awkward position, especially if the manufacturer is no longer in business or is a state-owned entity. Getting authorization from them to act as an agent may be very difficult indeed.

Now here's the thing. I've been dealing with the ERD for a long time and I've found the newer folks are not only willing to discuss change, they will work eagerly to implement it. I have another meeting with them on Friday and I will bring this issue to their attention, and see what (if any) progessive thoughts I might inspire. The folks I'm meeting aren't quite the ones that need to make the changes but it will be a good start to get some ideas. Wish me luck.
My major issues with the approval process for SAA not withstanding, the product approval is not the issue. It is the fact they have decided to remove already approved product from the the list due to a new fee implementation. We had all the permits in line as of December, only to have the products removed from our renewed 2010 permit. This was one of my concerns with the the new "real time" list, rather than the published list.
 
Back
Top Bottom