Speak of your muzzleloading pistols!

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1
Please, let's hear you stories of your BP frontstuffer blackpowder pistols other than revolvers?
Antique or reproduction, modern style boomer or traditional sidelock,
smoothbore or rifled, flintlock or percussion, let's here your range stories.
Got any bragging stories or otherwise interesting tidbits that most of us BP nuts would like to hear firsthand?

Cheers!
 
I have a Pedersoli Queen Anne reproduction which is a lot of fun to shoot,one time I loaded it up and they called a cease-fire and I got to yacking and so on and when the cease-fire was over I loaded it up again...I noticed the groove on my ram was sticking way out so I caught my mistake before firing it with two loads in it. Fortunately it was black powder day at the range and was able to borrow a ball puller from another shooter.

FlintPistol003.jpg

Flintlockcloseup001-1.jpg
 
Years ago my brother and I purchased a pair of Thompson Center Patriot percussion pistols.
Both were reasonably accurate at 25 yards. I though it best to try and improve the accuracy. A light peening of the rear sight adjusting screw boss helped. The next step was inserting a piece of thin cloth into the barrel channel trimming it so as not to extend past the wood. HOLY COW!!!! The accuracy was incredible...sighting in groups at 25 yards averaged the size of a toonie for 5 shots. The trick was doing this one handed in a match. The best thing about the Patriot was the design of the grip. For my hand it was a nearly perfect fit, and the gun just pointed naturally. I used it for several years and won a lot of first place awards with it. The best being a 50-2x out of a possible 50-5x...this record stood for a long time and I do not beleive it was surpassed. Another target was shot at the Montana State Territorial Championships with a score of 99-5x out a possible 100-10x. It was on the record of this and my Flintlock shooting that earned an invitation to represent Montana in the National Championships that year...I missed them due to work commitments.
That Patriot was one of the only pistols to successfully split a bullet at 15 yards on an axe blade...bullet splitting with a rifle is easy, though with a pistol is a lot tougher.
I miss that Patriot!!!!
 
Last edited:
Appreciate the replies fellas!
Myself I'm a johny come lately to muzzleloading firearms of any kind. My shame.....
Hence my recent embelishment of a double barrel .65 calibre percussion pistol. Thankfully a proper mold accompanied it.
The RBs actually mike at .62 and I tightly patch them, lubed with TC #13. This seems to work fine at 7-12 yards.
Considering it's a smoothbore with a bead sight, I'm pretty happy with these results.
Alonzo's results are something to behold indeed!

Cheers..........
 
Like Alonzo I taped duct tape in the barrel channel , and it was a tack driver until I shot it out. Have a new barrel on it, which shoots equally as good.
The grip and shape fits my hand perfect.:D
Cheers nessy.
 
Muzzle loading pistols

100_0078.jpg
100_0075.jpg
100_0077.jpg
100_0073.jpg


These are photos of a couple of friends at last year's "Beaver Lodge Rendezvous". The 1st 2 are of "Trapper" and his .50 cal "Patriot" style (I believe) pistol. The 2nd 2 are of Tom and his .45 cal. "Le Page"? style pistol.

Both shot very well with 20-25 grs of FFFg powder and patched round balls.
 
Back
Top Bottom