Spotting the abuse signes on a antique revolver ?

olivierlamothe

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a good shooter antique revolver. It's a lot of money and I don't want to loose my cash. So any of you guys could help me to spot abuse signes on a antique revolver ? What should I look for to be sure that the gun is a good buy ? I'm interest in webleys and other easy reloadable guns.

Thanks !

Olivier
 
Last edited:
Have a gun smith check it over, I'm not familiar on what to look for so have been hit twice with poor choices..one was a gun auction, described in good shape..if you wanted to hang it on a wall...the other seemed tight and lock up good till gunsmith cleaned all the dirt out of it then everything was loosened up...
 
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a good shooter antique revolver. It's a lot of money and I don't want to loose my cash. So any of you guys could help me to spot abuse signes on a antique revolver ? What should I look for to be sure that the gun is a good buy ? I'm interest in webleys and other easy reloadable guns.

Thanks !

Olivier

On a webley make sure the hinge does not have slop in it. When the action is closed up you want it to be rock solid. Check the timing and lock up on the revolver as well, make sure there isn't a lot of side to side or back to front slop in the cylinder, preferably none.

Those are the big ones, obviously check the bore for any concerning pitting.
 
On a webley make sure the hinge does not have slop in it. When the action is closed up you want it to be rock solid. Check the timing and lock up on the revolver as well, make sure there isn't a lot of side to side or back to front slop in the cylinder, preferably none.

Those are the big ones, obviously check the bore for any concerning pitting.

Thanks for thes tips on the webley my friend ! I know that thies guns could have shot heavy loads or jacketed bullet trought them.
How could i figure out over pressure or over use signe ?

On the other hand it's rare to see thoes around. I will probably buy online any tips for this type of transaction.

Thanks,

Olivier
 
Look for what you would look for in any revolver or firearm - looseness and changes from what a normal tight gun would be like. Anything past that ends up subjective with limitations and exceptions. Be prepared to do work on anything you haven't had inspected or verified by someone with knowledge on the subject.
 
Back
Top Bottom