While you are on the site, in your browser find and click "Add to Home Screen" A CGN beaver app icon will then be created to your phone that is directly link to the site.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Time to pick the best muzzle loader of the American Civil War. The votes are in, and its between the two favourates, the American made Springfield or the British made Enfield. i picked the Enfield as I feel it had a better sighting system.
There was no reason to have this survey as the Enfield was a superior arm hands down. It was all around a better engineered piece which was more accurate and more reliable. Cheerio Lads!!!
Its done for fun and informative opinions,and discussion, plus the 1855 Springfield had a good sighting system, but that tape primer system sucked. Plus there really was not that much difference between them, unless you count the German made ones or the ones made in the south or north, classed as Enfield type rifles. than you would get different amounts of lands and groves.
The springfield 1861 pattern is just a far better arm, better finishing and well made with the clean out screw it just has more thought put into it.
I recall reading someplace where Confederate troops would cast aside their enfields and take springfields from their slain enemies as the springfields had true interchangeability of parts and better finishing.
I guess the enfields that were being imported were getting slivers into their hands during drill.
The Enfield was the perfered weapon of the confederacy for imports. when Vicksburg fell, the Yanks threw away their rifles and picked up a Reb Enfield. Also the Enfield was second choice for the Union. It all comes down to which book and author. Think about 300000 Enfields made it to the Civil War.
Even though I collect Springfield armory stuff I chose the Enfield.
My dad and I have shot BP competition for decades and specifically musket matches when they were part of weekend shoot. The standing record for number of wins in this type of match is held by my dad. He consistently out-shot every Springfield on the firing line with his Enfield using the mini ball/bullet. His was a London Armories gun, and I have shot the Parker Hale's and they are even more accurate...he shot against original and modern Springfields.
Cheers
The P1853 has better sights, and the straighter stock and wide buttplate are friendlier to your shoulder. Parts interchangeability was basically a non-issue in Civil War battlefield conditions. If your musket broke, it would be quicker and easier to simply pick up any one of hundreds that were scattered about the battlefield.