mosinmaster
CGN frequent flyer
Hi,
I'm looking into getting into some waterfowl hunting. THere are so many brands, and ammo types to choose from. I'm going to be hunting large ducks (mallards) and Canadian geese.
What sort of FPS, shot size, shell length, brand should I look into? I'm on a budget, and would like to get more ammo for my money.
I've seen Challenger shells made in Canada, how are they? I shoot Federal in my mossberg 500 and i have had great success with their Top Gun loads, how about their Speed shock brand? What about Remington Sportsman loads? Winchester Xpert? Which ammo is cleanest, offers good steel shot? 3'' vs 2 3/4''.
Sorry for the barrage of questions, but the options are endless! And I want to get it right. I'm thinking that for the first time, I should buy some different brands, different shell lengths, different shot sizes, and different powder loads to see what works best? I could just split the ammo costs with my hunting partner while we both test out the brands. That way we can have 1/2 of each box and get a good sense. Is this the right way to do it?
I'm really interested in Challenger shells becuase they seem like really good shells manufacturedi n Canada with good components but at a good price.
Also forgot to mention about Kent and Hevi-Shot.. sigh.. the questions keep coming.
Thanks in advance!
I'm looking into getting into some waterfowl hunting. THere are so many brands, and ammo types to choose from. I'm going to be hunting large ducks (mallards) and Canadian geese.
What sort of FPS, shot size, shell length, brand should I look into? I'm on a budget, and would like to get more ammo for my money.
I've seen Challenger shells made in Canada, how are they? I shoot Federal in my mossberg 500 and i have had great success with their Top Gun loads, how about their Speed shock brand? What about Remington Sportsman loads? Winchester Xpert? Which ammo is cleanest, offers good steel shot? 3'' vs 2 3/4''.
Sorry for the barrage of questions, but the options are endless! And I want to get it right. I'm thinking that for the first time, I should buy some different brands, different shell lengths, different shot sizes, and different powder loads to see what works best? I could just split the ammo costs with my hunting partner while we both test out the brands. That way we can have 1/2 of each box and get a good sense. Is this the right way to do it?
I'm really interested in Challenger shells becuase they seem like really good shells manufacturedi n Canada with good components but at a good price.
Also forgot to mention about Kent and Hevi-Shot.. sigh.. the questions keep coming.
Thanks in advance!


















































