Stock removal help needed - American Gun Co. SxS

Mount Sweetness

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Location
Southern Ontario
Please see attached picture.

I'm not exactly sure how to remove the butt stock on my Grandfather's old 16ga SxS.
It is all cracked up at the wrist in atleast 3 places.

I have both the top and bottom tang screws out.
I am also able to remove the one small screw on the side plate, where there is a cluster of 3 fasteners....1 screw and two pins.

Do I need to punch those other two pins out?
I don't want to attempt that if it isn't needed, I have thought they may be related to the trigger assembly but am unsure, better to ask first.

Can I get some tips how to remove this butt stock so I can attempt a repair?
Thanks
image.jpg4_5.jpg

image.jpg5_4.jpg
 
I think that screw ,above the empty hole, should go right through. You should be able to see the end of it on the opposite side of the lockplate. Remove it. Then screw it into the hole in the right lockplate so you can pull on it to help remove plate.
 
Check the trigger plate; there is usually a screw, perhaps two which are in front of the trigger guard and which secure the trigger plate to the receiver. It / they need to be removed before the lower tang / trigger plate can be removed. The trigger guard unscrews from the trigger plate and has a integral screw in front of the triggers where it touches the trigger plate. Once the back of the trigger guard is loose you swing the whole trigger counter clockwise with the gun upside down, about 2 or 3 turns to remove it. There may or may not be another screw behind the triggers and under the guard

cheers mooncoon
 
Check the trigger plate; there is usually a screw, perhaps two which are in front of the trigger guard and which secure the trigger plate to the receiver. It / they need to be removed before the lower tang / trigger plate can be removed. The trigger guard unscrews from the trigger plate and has a integral screw in front of the triggers where it touches the trigger plate. Once the back of the trigger guard is loose you swing the whole trigger counter clockwise with the gun upside down, about 2 or 3 turns to remove it. There may or may not be another screw behind the triggers and under the guard

cheers mooncoon

Yes, the above will have to be done to remove the stock. In my reply I was just thinking of the lockplates-- duh.
 
You say the trigger guard is off. Can you or have you removed the trigger assembly? You can't remove it without removing the trigger plate screw(s) in the bottom of the action as mooncoon mentioned. The stock won't come off unless the trigger assy. is removed. You have the top tang screw out but there will also be one under the opening lever that has to be removed. You probably won't get the trigger assy. out very easily without removing the lockplates. They should come off after removing that top screw that goes through both lockplates that I already mentioned. You usually don't have to remove those other pins. The lockplates will likely be in there tight. If it won't come off after doing what has been mentioned, then I'm not sure what's going on.
 
I got it figured out now. Those two pins don't get punched out, they are actually screws from the inside side plate that hold the hammer spring assembly onto the plate.
Oldstarfire was also correct in stating that there is one other tang bolt under the lever, that had to be removed as well, I had to giggle when I found that one.
I watched a YouTube video that showed me how to remove the sideplates, actually very simple. Once the sideplates are off, then it is just one small bolt to remove the trigger assembly.
Only then, can the butt stock slide off.

Now I have to figure out what glue to use on the wood and how to do that? I am also considering a glued in wooden dowel, brass pin or screws as the stock is somewhat fragile yet still salvageable.
Any help with the gluing and prep would be appreciated, the wood is rather oily.
image.jpg3_10.jpg

image.jpg1_20.jpg
 
It will be very important that you get out as much oil as you can or the repair likely won't hold. I usually soak it in acetone in a covered container for as long as it takes. Acetone may eat many plastic containers.
 
Will acetone damage the wood?

I have used acetone a few times and I believe countless others use it to remove oil. It will likely turn the wood a very light color but you are going to have to refinish it anyhow. Some people spray stocks with oven cleaner and put it in the oven for awhile but I have read where that method can damage wood.
 
I have sprayed Brake cleaner into the cracks and have also injected acetone into them a good number of times now.
I will let it sit over night and will glue tomorrow.
I plan to hide a brass screw under the tang to help hold the crack together as well.
 
One final crack gluing in the vice right now and I'll have it back together tomorrow night.
I used Elmer's ProBond Max on the main crack. I added a #4 x 1" screw hidden under each tang, predrilled the holes and filled half way with Gorilla Glue.
So far, so good.

image.jpg2_11.jpg

image.jpg1_22.jpg

image.jpg3_12.jpg

image.jpg4_7.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom