Stopped while carrying?

Ontario is the same way, if conservation officer thinks you were hunting they can charge you if you have a firearm with you or not, refer to the definition of hunting in the regulations. Many guys caught poaching here the conservation officer’s waits until the hunting is over, the firearms are put away, the games a hanging, safer that way for everyone. Remember though conservation officers have to prove you were hunting and not going to charge you for nothing. Brings me to a good joke I like:
THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT!!
A couple went on vacation to a resort up north. The husband liked to fish, and the wife liked to read. One morning the husband came back from fishing after getting up real early that morning and took a nap. While he slept, the wife decided to take the boat out. She was not familiar with the lake, so she rowed out and anchored the boat, and started reading her book.
Along comes the Game Warden in his boat, pulls up alongside the woman's boat and asks her what she's doing? She says, "Reading my book." The Game Warden tells her she is in a restricted fishing area and she explains that she's not fishing. To which he replied, "But you have all this equipment. I will have to take you in and write you up!" Angry that the warden was being so unreasonable, the lady told the warden, "If you do that, I will charge you with rape." The warden, shocked by her statement, replied, "But I didn't even touch you." To which the lady replied, "Yes; but you have all the equipment!"


Yep. Reverse onus only applies until the courtroom though. The MNR still has to prove your guilt....
 
Last year I emailed the MNR about shooting my prescribed antique revolver on Crown land adjacent to family property in Parry Sound district, Ontario.

The CO that responded was completely unconcerned about the fact that I wanted to shoot my antique handgun in the bush, saying "as long as you can legally carry it you can shoot it on crown land."

He was much more concerned about the possibility that others might think I was hunting, and told me to avoid wearing camo and bring some tin cans and targets with me.

I saved the email.:D
 
I almost forgot. 2 years ago I had an 18 year old kid hunting in our party. He had a hunting license but no firearms license. He had taken the course and was safe though so I allowed him to carry my 1871 Mauser sporter. He texted me from my stand to tell me the OPP and MNR were walking across the field in front of him. He ended up showing the antique letter and the gun to both officers and the OPP officer asked if he could see a .43 mauser round. When he offered to show the RCMP letter they said that was OK they didn't need to see it. Everything went fine. Of course that particular CO is well aware that I carry antique hanguns holstered on a regular basis.
 
I'd say you are fine if you transport an antique to the target shooting destination, load it there and shoot, the rest is not recommended in my opinion.

So just to be real clear on that; that's your opinion? Maybe you should look up the transport laws and laws pertaining to possession and from even that small amount of information you could deduce how prescribed antiques are classed. Or see if you can contact a CFO that might be able to tell you.


First of all, you guys telling everybody that walking in the bush with an antique (revolver), loaded and holstered is legal should be aware that

1. There is no police or RCMP in the bush, only conservation officers

2. know your hunting laws because you most likely are in conflict with them

Heck, even walking in the bush with a loaded rifle and no hunting license (or out of season) will get you into trouble.



Have a nice day!


Again, read your regs. There is hunting season for some stuff, trapping season for some stuff. And open season for others. And shooting season.
A few species, no license required. You also don't need a license other than an FAC (unless acompanied) to shoot firearms. (That was a hint.)

Some CFOs could probably explain that as well.
 
So just to be real clear on that; that's your opinion? Maybe you should look up the transport laws and laws pertaining to possession and from even that small amount of information you could deduce how prescribed antiques are classed. Or see if you can contact a CFO that might be able to tell you.





Again, read your regs. There is hunting season for some stuff, trapping season for some stuff. And open season for others. And shooting season.
A few species, no license required. You also don't need a license other than an FAC (unless acompanied) to shoot firearms. (That was a hint.)

Some CFOs could probably explain that as well.

It is not really clear to me what you are trying to say but let me say that even though an antique handgun requires no license but ammunition does.

The law if you mention it, clearly says that even an antique handgun has to be transported unloaded and must be locked the same way as a restricted handgun.

Read it up here:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm

In regards to carrying a gun (any gun) in the bush, some people here have replied accordingly, sorry, I cannot reply to this comment since I don't understand what you are trying to say. And yes, I have a resident hunter card and I can look up all regulations for BC in my small booklet if I am in doubt.

A CFO is not really the authority for hunting regulations, is it?

That would be the CO/ministry of natural resources/ministry of environment or whatever they are called in each province with the fish and wildlife branch in BC, FYI.

And NO, you cannot go hunting in the bush for any species without any license as you mention, you may not need a tag or there is no bag limit etc.

You can read up all the hunting regulations for Alberta here:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

Have fun reading, it's a lot.
 
Last edited:
It is not really clear to me what you are trying to say but let me say that even though an antique handgun requires no license but ammunition does.

The law if you mention it, clearly says that even an antique handgun has to be transported unloaded and must be locked the same way as a restricted handgun.

Read it up here:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm

In regards to carrying a gun (any gun) in the bush, some people here have replied accordingly, sorry, I cannot reply to this comment since I don't understand what you are trying to say. And yes, I have a resident hunter card and I can look up all regulations for BC in my small booklet if I am in doubt.

A CFO is not really the authority for hunting regulations, is it?

That would be the CO/ministry of natural resources/ministry of environment or whatever they are called in each province with the fish and wildlife branch in BC, FYI.

And NO, you cannot go hunting in the bush for any species without any license as you mention, you may not need a tag or there is no bag limit etc.

You can read up all the hunting regulations for Alberta here:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

Have fun reading, it's a lot.

In transport it doesn't have to be transported the same way as a restricted it only has to be in a locked case (not trigger locked)
 
It is worth reading the hunting regs for each person's given province. In Ontario, if you are caught in the bush with a rifle during bear hunting season without a bear tag, you can be charged. I take my family into remote areas canoeing and camping and I bring along a Wincheter 30-30 carbine as a camp gun in case we ever had serious problems. I phoned MNR in Sudbury and talked with a CO. He said, no problem bringing the 30-30 for a camp gun in the bush even if I had no bear license. He just advised against wandering around in the bush without any of my gear and just my 30-30, looking like I was hunting something. It sounded like he was a common sense sort of fellow. I had a similar conversation with a CO when I lived in Manitoba and canoed and camped in remote areas. In the future, I might pose the question via email, so I had a copy in case it was a different CO that I encountered. The same goes for antique handguns. I would say that unless I actually am hunting, it is pretty obvious that I am not hunting.

As usual with antiques, discretion and diplomacy is in your best interest and results in increased respect and trust with any authorities you may deal with. Hot-headed, activist yahoos are the last thing we want in the antique community. A fellow can accomplish a lot more acting in a mature, professional way that earns respect and trust.
 
Last year I emailed the MNR about shooting my prescribed antique revolver on Crown land adjacent to family property in Parry Sound district, Ontario.

The CO that responded was completely unconcerned about the fact that I wanted to shoot my antique handgun in the bush, saying "as long as you can legally carry it you can shoot it on crown land."

He was much more concerned about the possibility that others might think I was hunting, and told me to avoid wearing camo and bring some tin cans and targets with me.

I saved the email.:D

The MNR here in Ontario have told me the same thing, except I did not get it in writing.
 
I phoned MNR in Sudbury and talked with a CO. He said, no problem bringing the 30-30 for a camp gun in the bush even if I had no bear license. He just advised against wandering around in the bush without any of my gear and just my 30-30, looking like I was hunting something.

Again, the MNR here in Ontario have told me the same thing. I do not know where people who have a firearms licence get the idea you cannot have a firearm legally where you can discharge it. If we do not think we can have a firearm with us, what do people who do not have a firearms licence think?
 
Yes, so after all of this we can say..... use common sense, if you are carrying a gun and NOT hunting have some sort of target with you, DONT wear full camo, carry a copy of pertinent paper work, be nice to leo's and others you meet and it should go ok for you. I personally use a gravel pit on crown land for target practice and never have issues.
 
It is worth reading the hunting regs for each person's given province. In Ontario, if you are caught in the bush with a rifle during bear hunting season without a bear tag, you can be charged. I take my family into remote areas canoeing and camping and I bring along a Wincheter 30-30 carbine as a camp gun in case we ever had serious problems. I phoned MNR in Sudbury and talked with a CO. He said, no problem bringing the 30-30 for a camp gun in the bush even if I had no bear license. He just advised against wandering around in the bush without any of my gear and just my 30-30, looking like I was hunting something. It sounded like he was a common sense sort of fellow. I had a similar conversation with a CO when I lived in Manitoba and canoed and camped in remote areas. In the future, I might pose the question via email, so I had a copy in case it was a different CO that I encountered. The same goes for antique handguns. I would say that unless I actually am hunting, it is pretty obvious that I am not hunting.

As usual with antiques, discretion and diplomacy is in your best interest and results in increased respect and trust with any authorities you may deal with. Hot-headed, activist yahoos are the last thing we want in the antique community. A fellow can accomplish a lot more acting in a mature, professional way that earns respect and trust.

Yeah the key word is camp gun. Theres COs who will charge you out in the Bush with a gun with no license. Whether these are just young inexperience COs I am not sure :p. Odd that they would #### around so bad with resources considering the MNR is virtually bust and has cut back so heavily on its services.

Anyhow people can do what they want, they should just know and appropriately weigh the potential downsides and risks prior to doing it.

You guys out west have it easy.
 
It is not really clear to me what you are trying to say but let me say that even though an antique handgun requires no license but ammunition does.

The law if you mention it, clearly says that even an antique handgun has to be transported unloaded and must be locked the same way as a restricted handgun.

Read it up here:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm

In regards to carrying a gun (any gun) in the bush, some people here have replied accordingly, sorry, I cannot reply to this comment since I don't understand what you are trying to say. And yes, I have a resident hunter card and I can look up all regulations for BC in my small booklet if I am in doubt.

A CFO is not really the authority for hunting regulations, is it?

That would be the CO/ministry of natural resources/ministry of environment or whatever they are called in each province with the fish and wildlife branch in BC, FYI.

And NO, you cannot go hunting in the bush for any species without any license as you mention, you may not need a tag or there is no bag limit etc.

You can read up all the hunting regulations for Alberta here:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

Have fun reading, it's a lot.

I was replying to your comment that you can not carry a gun outdoors, except during hunting season and only if you have the appropriate license. That's false. Just because you have a gun does not mean you're hunting. And as I mentioned there may not be a tag required or there is open season, ie: gophers.

And conversly, provincial wildlife regs have no bearing on firearms, only hunting with them.

I have carried firearms many times out in B.C. (where you're from?) legally.
 
I was replying to your comment that you can not carry a gun outdoors, except during hunting season and only if you have the appropriate license. That's false. Just because you have a gun does not mean you're hunting. And as I mentioned there may not be a tag required or there is open season, ie: gophers.

And conversly, provincial wildlife regs have no bearing on firearms, only hunting with them.

I have carried firearms many times out in B.C. (where you're from?) legally.

You need a hunting license even when hunting gophers in open season.
 
You need a hunting license even when hunting gophers in open season.

Gophers are a pest, but here are some other examples taken from the regs (other species) for Alberta:

Timber Wolf - A Resident may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) timber wolf from the opening of any big game season in a particular WMU to... (snip)

Coyote - A Resident may, without a licence and on land to which he or she has the right of access, hunt (but not trap) coyote at all times of the year...(snip)

1) on public lands in the Green Area only from October....(snip)

Red Fox and Badger - A resident may without a licence and at all times of the year hunt...(snip)

Bobcat - A resident may, without a licence from November...(snip)

Other Animals - Porcupine, rabbit, hare, skunk, raccoon, and woodchuck may be hunted but not trapped without a license throughout the province at all times of the year.


Perhaps it's you that needs to read up. And as another poster noted, antique pistols do differ in the transport laws from restricted.
 
Also found:

From the B.C. hunting regs:

Firearms fall under the Criminal Code of Canada and are therefore regulated by the Federal Government, NOT the Government of British Columbia. All inquiries related to Canadian firearms regulations should be directed to the Canadian Firearms Centre.

As of January 1, 2001, the Wildlife Act will now accept a FAC, Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) or Possession-Only Licence (POL) for the purposes of carrying a gun in the bush. If you borrow a firearm you need a valid FAC or the new federal firearm licence (PAL, or POL) unless you are being supervised by someone who is legally allowed to have that firearm.

Note that in addition to the FAC or federal firearms licence, in order to hunt, you also need a hunting licence issued by the province.

If you are just carrying a rifle or shotgun in the bush, you must have a valid federal firearms licence.


Really, this stuff is not that hard to find out. Why do these silly rumours about carrying persist?
 
And more from the federals:

Following are some weapons and devices that meet the definition of a firearm but that are deemed not to be firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act and related offences in the Criminal Code. Some of these items are exempted from the definition only if they were designed exclusively for a specific purpose and are intended to be used exclusively for that purpose by the person who possesses it. However, all of the items listed below are considered to be firearms if used in a criminal or negligent manner.

•Antique firearms;

Hope that clears things up some. Rules yes. No where could I find: that it must not see light of day unless the planet....blah, blah blah blah...
 
Back
Top Bottom