Storing ammo in the house-- safety question

Hanon

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just need some input here. Yesterday i bought a crate of Mil surp 7.62 x 39 and left it in my room. I guess my dad saw it and started freaking out today about how he think if there was a fire in the house and it miraculously walked across the carpet and made its way to the crate that it will go off and endanger the neighbors. I know I have a better chance of winning the lottery then this actually happening but what can I do to put his mind at ease?:(
 
watch the video on the SAAMI site.

saami.org

[youtube]HtRhht7ovmo[/youtube]

Ammo needs a gun to work, otherwise it doesn't even burn on it's own.
 
Hey guys I just need some input here. Yesterday i bought a crate of Mil surp 7.62 x 39 and left it in my room. I guess my dad saw it and started freaking out today about how he think if there was a fire in the house and it miraculously walked across the carpet and made its way to the crate that it will go off and endanger the neighbors. I know I have a better chance of winning the lottery then this actually happening but what can I do to put his mind at ease?:(

Go use it up.........
 
In short, buy your own place.

Seriously you should have consulted the head of house before bringing in ammo.

Hey doesnt mind me having ammo in the house, I have lots of shotgun shells that are un used. Its more the fact that its 1200 rounds in a wooden crate
 
he think if there was a fire in the house and it miraculously walked across the carpet and made its way to the crate that it will go off and endanger the neighbors.

There is no "going off" involved in amunition being burnt in a fire. That crate of ammo is no more dangerous to the neighbors than all the wood etc that your house is made of. In fact the house burning down represents a greater risk than the crate of ammo.
 
If the ammo were to be in a fire, it would all simply pop off, it would not shoot the bullet off like movies would show (and unfortunately most people believe). Their is more a threat coming from the propane tank on your barbecue, as that will also pop, but it will POP.

Try explaining that without a firearm to direct the pressure toward the bullet, they will simply pop and the shrapnel usually will not penetrate your walls in your room. If still no luck, hit the range.
 
Wrap it in ### #### mags and I bet he won't ever mention a thing - or the ammo will be the last thing he talks to you about. Just a thought. ;)
 
When I worked at CIL we burned hundreds of thousads of rounds of centerfire, shot shell and 22 ammo. Stuff that had been made with wrong bullet, wrong powder charge, wrong primer, etc.

We shoveled it into a 55 gal steel drum and burned it. Seldom did a pice of brass fly out of the drum. Sounded like popcorn.

The gas can for the lawn mower in the garage is much more dangerous.
 
Glad you showed him the video, now he is knowledgeable and your relationship is improved/resolved. Thanks CanAm you helped a young guy out!!
 
Back
Top Bottom