Strange barrel pattern

mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
I started rusting a pair of damascus shotgun barrels today and so far have the strangest pattern coming out. I have never seen one like it before although I do think the striping may disappear as the rusting progresses

cheers mooncoon

mikesbarrels2b.jpg
 
what is unusual is that the breach section of the barrels have been made with two parallel damascus skelps forged welded together presumably during the barrel wrapping phase as opposed to the two strips welded first and then wrapped. I have seen barrels made with a different pattern for the breach area as well as a pair of barrels made with a different pattern left to right (left barrel was one pattern, right barrel a different pattern)

most puzzling

cheers mooncoon
 
I have seen that many times in some of the old shotguns I restored...kinda wish I would have kept them now..:(

I would be surprised if you have seen the barber pole effect of parallel strips of light and dark damascus. I have refinished somewhere around 50 barrels or pairs of barrels and it is the first time that I have seen that combination. Below are some other barrels I have refinished for comparison

the first photo with the plywood looking pattern is french and the skelp was made by laminating layers like a stack of pancakes before spiral wrapping and welding. The second set of barrels date to about 1800 and I feel illustrate a very simple and beginning style of laminated barrels before the elaborate patterns had really developed. The forth pair of barrels were assembled by Hollis and were from an economy grade gun. The barrel assembler apparently just grabbed two barrels out of a bucket and they turned out to be different patterns

cheers mooncoon

Frenchlamination.jpg


Greenwoodbarreljoinb.jpg


Pinfirebarrelstop.jpg


IHollis.jpg


Fowlerweld.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom