Strange Idea

mrclean89

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Location
Nanaimo, BC
Afternoon everyone, so today I have a rather bizarre question that I can't find any answers on.*

As I was sitting in the shoppe the other day I was thinking to myself how terrible and ugly inlines are.*

That led to me thinking about what if the roles were reversed and instead of a "muzzleloader" in new gear you had a bolt action rifle in say a hawken or full stock.*

The patch box would hold a few extra rounds in metal clips and cleaning gear. There would be a "ramrod" for cleaning.*

It would be blued or browned and have all the lines of a nice olde style gun. Brass and all the bells and whistles.*

My question is, has anyone ever done this ?*

What are your thoughts on it ?*

Cheers, McLean*
 
That led to me thinking about what if the roles were reversed and instead of a "muzzleloader" in new gear you had a bolt action rifle in say a hawken or full stock.*

The patch box would hold a few extra rounds in metal clips and cleaning gear. There would be a "ramrod" for cleaning.*

My question is, has anyone ever done this ?*

I think to some extent our appreciation of a gun is based on tradition and guns that cross traditional lines usually look strange. I think deHaas (Single Shot Rifles) has a photo of a trapdoor springfield which has been restocked with a modern stock and I think also some modified martini actions. I guess I find it hard to visualize a remchester in a Hawken stock. I also have a prejudice against full stock cartridge riles because I would worry about the barrel channel shifting with changes in humidity

cheers mooncoon
 
Yeah I dont like seeing old guns like those put into new stocks and given scopes and the like. But im wondering what the flip side would be, try to give a modern rigle the lines and beauty of an old flinter.

Mights be something to try sometime if I ever get around to it.

Cheers, McLean
 
Google "gemmer" sharps or rolling blocks

zz-gemmer.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

sellsrb.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flntlok/2843667061/

The whole point of a "gemmer" rifle is it was basically "hawkenized".
 
The Sharps and the rolling block look a little strange but I think that a bolt action would look really strange with a Hawken style stock. I am still trying to decide if there is any functional use for what appears to be a lever on a rolling block

cheers mooncoon
 
The Sharps and the rolling block look a little strange but I think that a bolt action would look really strange with a Hawken style stock. I am still trying to decide if there is any functional use for what appears to be a lever on a rolling block

cheers mooncoon

Its a lever conversion, you drop the lever it cocks the hammer and rotates the block. There is an actual name for the conversion but it escapes me at the moment.

Probably explained better by the fellas at the ASSRA
 
I am trying to see the pivot point for the lever and how that relates to the hammer or the breach block. A lever on a falling block is relatively simple in that it moves the breach up and down which may or may not #### the hammer. Does not for a Sharps or a Stevens but does for a Winchester 85. In the case of a rolling block, you have to #### the hammer to open the breach and I can't visualize a movement which would do both. Logic would say to #### the hammer with your thumb and use a lever on the breach. I guess there is a lever pivot at the front bottom of the frame and I am guessing the lever would have to have a link of some kind to rotate the breach back and open. A side lever on the breach pivot would seem easier.

cheers mooncoon
 
Yeah those pictures do look a little bizarre, mostly I just want to see a picture of bolt hawken, mabye it will slate my lust for curiosity.

Before I go an do something silly haha

McLean
 
Its a lever conversion, you drop the lever it cocks the hammer and rotates the block. There is an actual name for the conversion but it escapes me at the moment.

Probably explained better by the fellas at the ASSRA

I've looked over the patent drawings for that lever conversion of the rolling block.
I can't remember the fellas name either. :) CRS Sucks!

What sticks in my mind about that conversion, is that it made the innards of a Colt 1877, look like the model of rugged construction.

Little bitty linkages and pins all interconnected in passageways inside the action. Looked like a fricken' nightmare to keep running.

The Gemmer conversions IIRC simply fit a lever to the breech block, and remove the thumb piece, the hammer still gets cocked by the operator.

Cheers
Trev
 
I've been going back on forth on this one myself.

I truly do not like the modern inline muzzleloaders (from an aesthetic perspective, I recognize many folks buy them to take advantage of the openings, more power to them); but 'right now' I'm not adverse to a hawken with an underlever rolling block, **provided that** it is in a classic BP cartridge...
 
Back
Top Bottom