strange request for a shotgun

mrclean89

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Location
Nanaimo, BC
Hi guys im restoring an old shotgun and am building a case for it.

its an army navy shotgun and ill be lining the inside of the case with that pool table type material and i'd like to find a high resolution picture of one of the paper signs that are always on the inside of these old cases.

so I have two questions, can anyone find me a good picture of one of these paper signs. the internet has turned up no good results.

secondly what is the material they use for these and where can it be bought ? if you have done this before with the liner any tips on installation would be much appreciated.

Cheers, McLean
 
If you have a copy of "ENGLISH GUNMAKERS" the Birmingham and Provincial Gun Trade in the 18th and 19th Century by DeWitt Bailey and Douglas A. Nic. There are a number of good pictures of different labels by different makers. If you can't find a copy PM me your e-mail and I will scan and send some to you. What is your gun maker's name?
You can get a good type of paper that is antiqued at Staples.
 
Felt is the material of choice for the old gun cases and it is available in lots of colors at fabric shops. Check out Connecticut Shotguns.com as I think they have a variety of copies of the labels and may have the one you need.
 
Dig around on the Doublegun Journal Forum. There, you can find the contact info for the University in Scotland, that now holds the records from the Army and Navy CSL.

They may be able to provide a scan of an actual label that matches the gun you have.
They charge for the information regarding the sale date and shipping address, if you want a hard copy, but will email you the info otherwise. I dealt with them on one that came through my father's side of the family.

Worth checking out!

Cheers
Trev
 
Army Navy Lable

I actually have a 1930's Army Navy with a case...

I'll try to get you a Hi-Res photo of the label


Cheers

Chris

1888 Greener - Damascus
1903 John Dickson & Son
1932 Army Navy
 
Last edited:
I just got a bunch of heavy feft at Fabric Land. they had several colors, not much money. Felt has no backing, so the cut edges are nice. You can get spray-bomb glue for fabrics at an upholstery shops, or Can. Tire, maybe at the fabric store.
Cover the inside of the case first, do the blocking and dividers separate and glue them in the case after. Have fun.
 
Also be wary of what glue you use - some will soak through and ruin the felt. Spray adhesive seems to work the best, I don't know what was originally used... I suspect a very tacky glue rather than something liquid.
 
Back
Top Bottom