Stupid corrosive ammo question.

Riven

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I know its a dumb question but is corrosive ammo harmful on your barrel to shoot or just if you dont clean the bore good after your done shooting?

What makes it corrosive anyway?
 
The ammo is self not corrosive, it is potassium chloride in the primer that attracts moisture, of course when you you leave it for awhile the moisture will start to cause any steel surfaces to rust.

simply run your barrel under the hot water tap for a few minutes than clean as normal.
 
I run a kettle of boiling water (via a funnel) down the pipe after a range session...then clean using your favourite method.
 
There's a few different methods people use for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo. The easiest seems to be boiling water down the tube and gas system, then clean as normal.
As for your actual question, no. Shooting corrosive ammo will not harm your gun if you clean it properly after shooting. I've read about people on here with over 10,000 rounds through there SKS and there still going strong.
 
Some solvents are rated for corrosive ammo and they will usually say. Also I use ballistol and it is rated for corrosive ammo(because it was partly designed for use with black powder which is corrosive). Boiling water also works well, just make sure everything gets dry.
 
i tried the boiling water & soap with funnel down gastube & barrel(followed by normal cleaning, windex, black powder cleaner, etc) barrel/gas tube were fine...but the gas goes all the way back through the piston to the bolt & bolt carrier..wich left rust on it (they were MINT before!)...pita to clean every crack and crevise...now i use only non-corrosive for semi's , and leave corrosive for bolt's...
 
One of my first milsurp guns was a Czech VZ52 in the original 7.62x45 and the only ammo available for it was corrosive. I swear I'd polish that thing white-glove army-inspection clean after shooting using CLP, patches & a bronze brush and invariably, a week later I'd pull through the bore and the patch would come out orange with rust. Once I even had to use a hammer & block of hardwood to get the gas system moving again.

After I heard about the boiling water trick, I never had any more rust problems shooting old corrosive ammo.
 
I have never had that much trouble before. Rust in the bore the odd occasion but never seized up.

Is their any surplus ammo that is not corrosive & can possibly be reloaded.

Using water to punch the primers in steel casings does not sound like much fun or to be very quick either.
 
I have never had that much trouble before. Rust in the bore the odd occasion but never seized up.

Is their any surplus ammo that is not corrosive & can possibly be reloaded.

Using water to punch the primers in steel casings does not sound like much fun or to be very quick either.

You don't have to worry about using water to knock primers out of steel casings as they're not suitable for reloading. But trust me, once you give your rifle a bath or two (and the proper oiling afterwards) and it doesn't turn to rust, you'll be sold on hot water and soap.:)
 
So regular cleaning with a powder solvent & oiling is not enough?


NO


Solvents such as Hoppes or Ed's Red will not dissolve salts. Try it for yourself in a glass or jar, salts will not dissolve.


I use warm water, a generous blast of WD40, then dry patch it until it comes out clean. Extra steps for corrosive ammo cleaning is about two minutes.
 
i have been using an amonia glass cleaner on patches for the first few passes through the bore, then solvent, then lots of oil, never had any rust issues, only one when it went 12 hours without cleaning and the bore had very monor surface rust that brushed away easily,

latley i havennt heard of the "Windex" as a bore cleaner trick anymore. when i first got my CZ this amonia glass cleaner trick was king, does no one do this anymore?

also ive never has issues with rust in the action, i clean it everytime now because i like my guns clean but i used to only clean the bore and gas system and i never got even the slightest bit of rust in the action, corrosive is well worth the cheaper cost IMO
 
Back
Top Bottom