stupid question

brybenn

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Location
southern ontario
Hey all experienced bp revolver shooters. I'm looking at a reproduction 1851 navy cap n ball. It is nickle plated with a gold plated cylinder. How durable is this type of finishing? I have 4 bp modern rifles which I use cva cleaning supplies in. Would those be ok on nickel and gold as they don't have any warnings on their labels? I love the look of this revolver but want to be able to shoot and maintain its finish. Any tips info is awesome
 
The only thing you need to be aware of that I know is AMMONIA content. Any copper solvent contains ammonia.

The plating of a steel surface is a multi step process. The first layer is copper, the second is nickel, the third is chrome (if you go that far). What the ammonia will do is attack the copper if it can get under the surface due to some porosity or at the edge of a surface like the end of a cylinder, for example.

I use CLP for almost all cleaning. Just wet your patches down, swamp out the bore and dry out. If you need something more agressive, GUN SCRUBBER or similar is a good product.

Use some flitz every once and a while to polish it. Clean it like normal for the most part.

cheers, Mclean
 
Its black powder. I just use hot soapy water and clean, then I use WD40 to evacuate the water and to prevent rust in those few spots that I may miss with oil at the end. I shoot it lots it shows wear, but no pitting, or flaking of any finish. There is just no need to use any chemical cleaner with black.
 
Your questions is far from stupid, many people do not realize you should not clean a nickle finsih gun with gun solvents, it will get under the nickle and destroy your nickle finish.

Hot water and soap, (I use the air compressor after to blow out the water) then little oil after.


Hey all experienced bp revolver shooters. I'm looking at a reproduction 1851 navy cap n ball. It is nickle plated with a gold plated cylinder. How durable is this type of finishing? I have 4 bp modern rifles which I use cva cleaning supplies in. Would those be ok on nickel and gold as they don't have any warnings on their labels? I love the look of this revolver but want to be able to shoot and maintain its finish. Any tips info is awesome
 
Back
Top Bottom