sucks having old eyes.

I like peeps but like others have said, even that gets tough. I just can't drill and tap my old rolling blocks or my Sharps. This is in the wheel house of a lot of old guys here (and some not so old). Just play with what I can and not worry about the rest. Hunting after and shooting these old things reminds me of the dog chasing the car. Even if I catch one what am I going to do with it. Aj
 
I use 1.25 reading glasses to shoot irons. What they do is sharpen the front sight and still allow you to see the target. I have shot 400 meters with irons this way and it works for me. I don't wear glasses for day to day stuff but need 2.00 reading glasses to see anything close.
 
I put a peep on my shooting glasses. Works like a pinhole camera, 100 focus. You can make one out of electrical tape and a small punch.

...aaaand then I noticed a post describing what I do lol!

:)
 
I'm in the same boat as everyone, old eyes. Sights are pretty fuzzy, can't quite touch 6 0'clock on the a fuzzy bull. Had the eye doc make up a 1.25 multiplier for distance, wow the bull was super clear and round until I looked thru the sights, they were so blurred it wasn't funny. So there went my dream of clear sights and crisp bull. Now I just deal with it.
 
Another guy with "oldguyeye'tis" here too. Tang or rear receiver mounted peep sight with a small size aperture helps a LOT. I'm leaning heavily on this option pending getting even worse where I'll findally sigh in resignation and put scopes on everything in sight.

The peep aperture doesn't always need to be ON the gun. Try this this cheap n'easy trick and see if it helps you;

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...your-shooting-glasses?highlight=stick+on+peep

And one more way of doing it,,,,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6a20stHk6k
 
I use 1.25 reading glasses to shoot irons. What they do is sharpen the front sight and still allow you to see the target. I have shot 400 meters with irons this way and it works for me. I don't wear glasses for day to day stuff but need 2.00 reading glasses to see anything close.

I use 1,00 reading glasses works for me also
 
I don't even try to be accurate with the pistols much anymore. Its getting to be that hitting the 8 x 11 paper target at 10 yards is as good as it gets nowadays.

Less coffee and try a red dot? If you can see well at a distance a red dot works like a champ. The optics of the red dot makes your eye think that the dot is out there at "infinity" so your distance vision is what counts even though the red dot unit is in close to you. A scope does the same thing when we adjust the back focus to see the lines more clearly.

But this is the black powder and antiques forum and I have to say that a red dot on a flint pistol or rifle is going to draw some odd looks.... :d
 
In my case peeps didn't help. Still can't see in low light unless it is a good scope. Might have to invest in some glow paint.

Yep, the peep sight needs a lot of excess light to work. The smaller the aperture the sharper the image. But when there's not much light and the peep cuts that much down even more then it all just gets too dark and the eye loses its ability to tell shapes apart and it all just blends together.

At that point it's scopes or red dots. And the semi mirroring needed on a red dot to reflect the dot back to us even cuts the light down too. So in dense woods or crazy dull days scopes are really the last and only decent answer.
 
Hmm.... one other idea to try.

The problem for most of us is that we can't see closer objects clearly. If we're shooting a rifle with the spring style rear sight that uses the stepped wedge for elevation one idea is to turn it around so it sticks forward instead of to the rear. This will move the rear sight anywhere from 3 to 4 inches further ahead of our eye and might just make a big difference to the fuzzy rear notch issue.

I know it shortens the sight baseline but what you lose on this might well be made up for in a bigger gain in accurate sighting due to a clearer rear sight.

It's easy enough to test. Sight along your rifle as normal. Now shift your face back or hold the rifle about that distance away from your shoulder to simulate flipping the rear sight around. If it is now quite a lot more clear it would be worth trying for a range session or two.
 
Your eye can only focus on one object at a time, so the rear sight will be fuzzy if you are focusing on the front post (says the guy with an astigmatism :p). When shooting a rifle with irons, the sight picture of rear sight, front post, and target poa are constantly bouncing between in and out of focus until a sight picture emerges and then all focus is on the front post (clear) placed over a fuzzy poa on the target and nestled in a fuzzy rear sight notch. As eyes get older the focus point becomes less crisp or defined. It's corrective surgery or eye glasses when this happens I'm afraid.
 
I have to switch glasses, one pair while shooting and another pair for loading magazines or rifles, Sucks being old.

I realize I could use bifocals, I tried them and hated them
 
I hear you a pair for reading, one for driving and another different one just for around the house and yard
But hey can still see somewhat if I got the right glasses on ;) same here cannot wear bi or tri ?? focals what ever they are called either
Cheers
 
My partner has different perscriptions in each eye, the dominent right has a focus on the front sight and the left adjusted for the target she says it has helped..
 
Thanks for the ideas gents. I think I will try the reading glasses.

Put a scope on the Trapper. Nice handy little carbine......ruined it....felt like I was desecrating a holy object. My Son always liked the gun, so better for him to enjoy.
Put Skinner sights on the 45-70, still can't see a damn thing through there. Will try the glasses.
 
I've been lucky in a sense, not old by any means, but had glasses when I was 8 and was told never to take them off,.my eyes steadily got worse to the point I was at -6.75 prescription. Had Lasix 15 years ago, was like a dream come true being able to see my alarm clock. Had some haze after the procedure, but it mostly cleared up. Now night vision is terrible, have to practically close my eyes to oncoming bright lights, especially I find Jeeps of all kinds, especially the cherokee. Now I have a light prescription, will get a touch up someday, the new Lazers are way better than when I got mine done, I was always scared to lose my glasses, I'd be like a handicapped person without them.
Going to get custom prescription shooting glasses should my membership pan out at Elmira Rod &Gun club, seeing that I just got my first pistol I sure hope it does.
I do encourage anyone with bad eyes to get them lasered, go to a reputable place, spend the cash for a lifetime warranty, and love seeing again.
 
Back
Top Bottom