Superformance ammo?

RoscoeP

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Location
Comox, BC
Just picked up 3 boxes of Hornady "Superformance" ammo for My Sako 7mm-08. It is listed at 2950fps with a 139 gr. bullet. The Federal preminums I had were 2800 fps with a 140 gr. bullet. Hornady claims no increase in recoil, muzzle blast, temperature sensitivity, fouling or loss of accuracy.
Supposed to use "ultra progressive propellants"
Anyone here used this ammo before? How did it work out for you?
 
"Superformance", marketing. Your rifle may or may not shoot them aaccurately.
Velocity is not as important as accuracy. Especially for hunting. If you're not reloading, you have to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights to find the ammo your Sako shoots best.
One grain of bullet weight won't make any difference in felt recoil.
Advertised velocities are valid in the test rifle on the day of the test too. The chances of you getting factory velocities are slim. Mind you, this applies to velocities given in loading manuals too.
 
Superformance

Well I sighted my rifle in yesterday and it went pretty well. The Zeiss adjustments dials were abit confusing as I forgot which dial was up/down and R/L. They are both marked U/R. I got that sorted out and managed to get it shooting where I wanted with a 7/8" three shot group at 100 yards. Didn't notice any increased recoil or muzzle blast etc.
I have not hunted or shot since 1991 so I was happy with that group. It is a light short barreled Sako Finnlight 7mm-08. The cases all looked good, now the test will be how the bullets work on game if I get the chance. Cheers
 
"Superformance", marketing. Your rifle may or may not shoot them aaccurately.

Yes there is some good marketing on this product. I did buy in to the hype to a certain degree and bought a box of 30-06, 180 gr SSTs to try in my 700 Rem SPS. After four rounds to adjust the scope to centre and a cleaning, I fired a fouling round then got down to business. That is to say a .340" 3-rd group at 100 yds. Felt recoil with this round seemed a bit less than with other brands of factory ammo but maybe it was only because of the excellent results I obtained!! And velocity has never been an issue for me just accuracy and it seems I achieved it with this ammo. The rest of the story?? I sent my buddy in Calgary an email with pic about this. He too shoots a 700 Rem SPS in 30-06 and bought a box of 165 gr SSTs to try. He obtained a 3-rd .495" 100m grp!! Needless to say we will be using this ammo on our hunting trips this fall. I will update you later this year!!

SuperFormance, marketing?? Yep!! But truth is in testing and my testing says try it!! Your rifle might just like it!!
 
They had the Hornady rep on G&A TV, anyway I caught that he said the .308 was supersonic out to 1300 yds? does that sound right? I would like to try some.
 
They have the "light Magnum" in various calibers also which could be similar or the same. i too have a 7-08, I chrono'd their bullets(139 sst's in them) at just a hair over 3000 ft/sec , and yes, some rifles will shoot em some won't , mine was decent.Just wanted to try em for s**ts and giggles. I believe in those ones they used a fairly stout load and magnum primer to get those results.
 
They have the "light Magnum" in various calibers also which could be similar or the same.

The light magnums are discontinued. Superformance is what they were replaced with.

Considering all the positive comments regarding this ammo, I might actually have to break down and buy a box for my .308...
 
Hornady's doing great stuff with powders lately, Just shot some Leverevolution in my 30-30 nice groups that print higher than conventional stuff. Hunting with it this year. I hear the powders will be available to us reloaders in 2011.
 
Just picked up 3 boxes of Hornady "Superformance" ammo for My Sako 7mm-08. It is listed at 2950fps with a 139 gr. bullet. The Federal preminums I had were 2800 fps with a 140 gr. bullet. Hornady claims no increase in recoil, muzzle blast, temperature sensitivity, fouling or loss of accuracy.
Supposed to use "ultra progressive propellants"
Anyone here used this ammo before? How did it work out for you?
Just curious if you ran those Superformance over a chrony to see what velocity you are getting out of your Finnlight-I have the same but in a 85 and am looking for a good factory round for it.
 
Well, I don't have a chrony so I can't check actual velocity, but this stuff sure seems to shoot flatter than my other factory loads. I had my .308 sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards with 165 gr Federal Premiums, and usually any load will be very close to that, whether it's 150 , 165, or 180 gr bullets. Not much difference till you get further out. The first 3 shots with the 165 gr Superformance made a nice 1 1/2 " group about 6 inches higher than the Federals! So I made a few adjustments, and ended the afternoon with a nice little 5 shot, 3/4" group. Hopefully later this week I can do some shooting at long range to compare the trajectories where it matters most.
 
UPDATE - in the last four days I have used the SP 30-06 180gr SST in my Rem 700 SPS to take a whitetail doe at 255 yds and two mule deer does at 308 yds. Two of them were right through the boiler room and dropped where they stood. The third was hit slightly back but though the rear lobes of the lungs and went about 50 yds and dropped. At $31 a box from Cabela's Canada I will not even attempt to replicate this round. My buddy, using his 700 SPS 30-06 with 165gr SST ammo dropped a WT doe at 250 yds with one shot to the head.

Hornady hype?? I'm in on this one!! Superformance works - at least in SST!!!
 
I Chronied the older Light mag ammo in 308. It was about 200 fps faster than other ammo.

In the lab, the pressure was no higher than standard, either. This was done by using a large dose of heavily compressed ball powder.
 
I've chrono'd some of the older light mag loads, 30/06 165 gr. They were consistently 100-150 fps faster than my hottest reloads. Same gun, same bullets.

They would probably do better loading the Interbond's as opposed to SST's, which are very explosive to say the least. :)
 
^Yet folks don't believe me.

Yup... tell me bout it.

I've been telling people about the Light/Heavy Mags for some time. "Superformance" is simple marketing. The previous moniker wasn't selling, but they worked excellent. I've been using the 150grn .308 loads for some time now, and have taken 2 moose, 3 elk, and 8 or so deer. None went farther than 40 yards.

Superformance is EXACTLY what the light/heavy mags were/are. All the velocities on the boxes are exact.

And they are damn accurate I've found. My R93 made a clover least last time I sighted in, and my farthest white tail was a pre-ranged buck at 487 yards. Dropped in it's spot, right in the boiler. I was using the Burris 3-9 with their ranging hatches.
 
I started shooting the light magnum stuff in 30-06 back around 1996 when it came out. I personally think it had higher recoil which would make sense if a bullet leaves a gun faster. The original 150 grain 06 loads were rated on the box at about 3150 fps. I actually just chrono'd these rounds this past fall at almost 3000 fps. My work-up of loads to max got me within about 60 fps of that. That all in a 23.5" barrel. The test barrels are likely 26" or better which could account for most of the missing 150 fps.
This stuff was really accurate. The 180's printed very close to those 150's which I did not expect. All the ammo I have has the interbond slugs, not the SST's.
 
Back
Top Bottom