Superformance ammo?

Sorry, SuperPerformance is not the old Light/Heavy magnum. Hornady was having Hobb's old time loading the L/H magnums, as they were heavily compressed loads, which, in a mass production scheme of things, made quality control very difficult. Everything has tolerances, and if the case neck was just a tad too thin, the bullets slipped, resulting in, at the very least, inconsistent OAL, and in the worst case, spills on the production line - very bad form with automated equipment banging out thousands of rounds an hour!

SuperPerformance depends on proprietary blended powders controlled to give a specific pressure curve, each nominal cartridge having its own powder, for each bullet weight.

I have yet to spring for a few boxes of the new stuff, but the now-discontinued L/H Magnums shot beautifully through my .308 and my '06. Still have some left, but I'll ante up for the SP stuff when the L/H magnums are all gone.
 
Yukon Kid!! I have been using the Lite Mag 139 SST in my Ruger 77 280 Rem. It shoots a hair under 3/4" and absolutely slays anything I have shot with it. Moose, elk, deer and black bear have all gone down on the spot or gone less than 30 yds before expiring. I bought five boxes of them in 1998 and have still got 20 left. I might not get them used up as I have had such great success with the SF in my 30-06 but will definitely switch to the red box once I do run out of the lite mags!!
 
Is superperformance ammo in .204 Ruger?
Just picked up 3 boxes of Hornady "Superformance" ammo for My Sako 7mm-08. It is listed at 2950fps with a 139 gr. bullet. The Federal preminums I had were 2800 fps with a 140 gr. bullet. Hornady claims no increase in recoil, muzzle blast, temperature sensitivity, fouling or loss of accuracy.
Supposed to use "ultra progressive propellants"
Anyone here used this ammo before? How did it work out for you?
 
I haven't handloded since i moved in my new place in 2000, but it great to see the improvements in the last 10 years in factory ammo. For the prices of these Superformance, and just with hunting in mind in particular, i don't think i'll set up my press again. I know what it's like to have handloading as a dedicated hobby, but now that it's lost it's luster, I am good to see better factory ammo then i could do on the bench.:wave:
 
Last edited:
i have used the superperformance gpx's and the sst's in my 7mm-08. i will never use gpx's outside of the range. gpx's live up to there name, they have good weight retention and deeeeeeep penitration. but on the other hand the SST's open very fast dropping everything i have hit right away. love the SST's and will put them in every one of my guns to hunt with.

isaac
 
My tikka 30-06 did not like the hornaday superformance at all. Felt recoil was the same as all other factory loads for me.

I couldn't get it to group for beans. But for some reason my first shot from a full mag was pretty good. Then the rest of the mag ammo wouldn't group. I heard from ppl (on here too) that recoil from a gun can cause the tips on the SST ammo to deform because they get smacked around in the mag when you fire it. Makes sense I guess.

I'm guessing the light Tikka T3 along with the tikka mag wasn't good for the soft tips. Tikka mags don't have a stiff spring in them. so I think the soft spring couldn't hold the ammo from getting knocked around.

The next brand i tried was winchester balistic silver tip. I found that the silver tips were shooting higher at 100yards than the SST's. Go figure.

Long story short, my gun didn't like them. At all
 
I shot a box of superformance thru my 25-06. I could keep 5 shots right about 1" at a 100yards where winchester ammo can be a jagged hole all shots touching. Don't have a chrony yet but the muzzle blast was much more noticable and recoil seemed sharper. The recovered bullets in water and wet newsprint were beautiful mushrooms just like on the box. I'd use them for hunting if my gun didn't group winchesters so well. Poi was 1" higher and 1.5" left. That's a factory 22" barrel from a stevens 200. I love that gun
 
i shot a doe monday morning with the 308 superformance 165g . it went thru the ribs and came out i three pieces the size of loones . dead deer i am happy with it DUTCH
 
Awesome ammo in my savage axis .223. Shoots sub moa at 100. Knock down coyotes very good with little no no hide damage. My favorite by far. Recoil was the same as 55gr federals no more muzzle blast that I have noticed
 
Since i start shooting them in my differents rifles, i reload a lot less, i bought at least 20 boxes of mixed calibers... I just cant duplicate their velocity and many are close in grouping to my best handloads... Cheers. JP.
 
The increased velocities with conventional calibres is achieved with a new powder. It is now out on the market for handloaders. Willing to break away from my time proven pet loads try it in my 22 varmint rifles.
 
This came from my dad's 7mm-08. Recovered from a bull moose that was out at the 350 yard mark. It's a 139 grain GMX

IMG_0667.JPG


IMG_06661.JPG


IMG_06681.JPG
 
Bought a box of superformance 139 gmx for 7mm rm. chronographed them today. 3073, 3073, 3069 fps. 1/2" group. The box says 3190fps. I wasn't impressed speed wise.
 
I wouldn't give up carefully assembled handloads for any factory ammo, most often factory loads come up quite short when chronographed in my experience.
If velocity is the main concern, we should be all using .300 RUMs.
 
I agree. I will take my accurate hand loads any day over factory. Speed is secondary. I know several guys that don't reload that will take these off my hands. Regardless if they are slower than the box says or not. I was curious mostly because of their claim that they are very temp stable. It was -3C when I shot them this morning. Maybe they aren't temp stable after all? Who knows but for hunting temps for me anyways (-5 to -20) they don't do what they claim. I could care less what they do in the summer time.

My hunting loads are all set up for cold weather. I honestly don't know how fast they are in the summer time.
 
I also am on the side that I am not ready to trade in my carefully tailored handloads. I know they work. All too often I have found the claims on factory ammunition velocities to be a bit suspect.
 
Back
Top Bottom