Superhero strength required

yorgi

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
OK, I'm losing patience with my Traditions inline... I'm checking the intraweb and it seems I'm the only guy that has a problem removing my breech plug after a range shoot...

Here's my routine. After considerable effort to remove said breech-plug I meticulously clean the thread with a wire brush and rag. I also make sure to wipe the barrel threads with another larger diameter brush. I then clean the barrel threads and apply a light coating of penetrating oil to all the threads.

I then coat both threads with T/C grease and re-install. Some people suggested using anti-seize thread grease. Yesterday, I went to my local CT and bought some of that gooey, silvery, messy stuff and applied to both mating surfaces. Guess what? Same, if not worst, results...

By now, I have a multi-stage regimen on something that should be easy. After disassembling the rifle, I pour boiling hot water down the pipe followed by an overnight soaking with penetrating oil and WD-40 mixture. Next day I place the action in a bench vise and use a breaker bar to wiggle the breech in and out. After considerable effort I always manage to remove it but it really shouldn't be this hard.

A close examination of the plug shows powder fouling on the first 1/2" of the threads, closest to the powder charge, Is this what people refer to as the "crud ring" issue?

I'm now on my way to my local Home Depot to buy some of that pink teflon tape. Some people are raving about it, what do I have to lose except more time, money and effort...?

Rifle is a Traditions Tracker, CCI primers with a charge of 100 grs. Pyrodex RS.
 
Do not use any (ANY) petroleum-based oils in combination with BP or substitutes.
For the start - melt equal parts of pure beeswax and lard, and us that mixture to grease up the threads. Try that, and if it works use more sophisticated formula for BP lubricant you can find online easily.
 
I have not used anti seize in a long time.
Try using white teflon tape.
Clean all the anti sieze off your plug and inside threads and put the teflon tape on the BP threads,works great.
Don"t tighten the plug up,as soon as it bottoms out stop.
 
Last edited:
Use what the manufacturer specifies and nothing else. I can't say for sure but possibly the oil you put on first may be the problem. Use the lube specified for the breech plug and lots of it. What are you using for powder?
 
When I was still using Pyrodex I had good luck with Pyrodex lube. I don't know if they even still make it, but it was a lot easier to get the plug out than with any anti-seize compound.
 
try buying a new breach plug wth new threads, then use a tempature grease, and lots of it on yer threads , i had the same problems this is what i did and have never had any problems since

Resurrecting last year's thread with new info!

Tried the high temp grease alone and was easier to unsrew but would still somewhat bind. Someone suggested using plumbers tape so I used a bit of automotive high temp grease (very silvery and very messy...) with one turn of white or yellow plumbers tape, yellow holds a lot better, white gets trashed, both work wonders for removal. My breech plug can now be removed with minimal effort and I'm a happy camper!

As a sidenote, I've always struggled to clean the interior threads of the barrel where the breech screws in. The supplied brush was way too short for the inline action as well as quite wimpy in construction.
Thanks to a trip I took to Princess Auto, I no longer have that problem either!

3/4" diameter brass brush, found it at the welding section for $1.99 .
LenaandJess001.jpg


Cut to size to fit in the action and extend a little past the scope.
LenaandJess002.jpg


A little bit of a tight fit at first but is now "sized" and works great!
LenaandJess003-1.jpg
 
With the nipple plugged, I would pour some water down the barrel and stand the barrel vertically for 10 minutes to 1/2 hour. Just lukewarm water not boiling and it should soak into the fouling in the threads and soften it.
I would not use boiling water because I think it tends to rust the inside of the barrel. Hot water as it comes from the tap is fine but not hotter

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom