Surplus 7.92x57mm ID Needed

Dillinger022

CGN Regular
EE REVOKED
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Location
Aylmer, QC
I have recently acquired 50 rounds of surplus 7.92x57mm military ammo that I need to ID.

15 rounds have the following headstamp markings:
'55 * VIII 3 foreign language letters'
Now I know that 55 stands for 1955, the date of manufacture and the letters are a manufacturer's code. I've reproduced the 3 letters in a Windows Paint file, which I've uploaded here along with a photo of one of the cartridges:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2436334940095397469bpVCwk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2891758180095397469jMMrpz

The rest are WW2 German rounds. 5 have the following markings:
'41 edq s* 10'
41 stands for the DOM of 1941 and edq is a manufacturer's code.
Here's a photo of one of the cartridges:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2563861060095397469owWfwP

30 rounds have the following markings:
'41 eej s* 7'
41 stands for the DOM of 1941 and eej is a manufacturer's code. These rounds are in their 2 original 15-round boxes complete with ID stickers. The boxes are in excellent shape.
Here's a photo of one of the cartridges and of one of the box labels:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2845404650095397469uejvFK
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2163075410095397469mcysUN
 
Last edited:
The top ammo dealer in Ontario had told me this. At the end of WWII there were a few hundred thousand 98's in 8mm from N African campaign, Turkey and some bought by middle east countries. Most ended up in places like Syria, Egypt and used in their armies. So ammo had to be produced for these rifles. Ammo was made in Eygpt, Isreal etc. in the late 40's-60's. I have had some too, they work good. Century and others used to sell them in the 70's-80's
 
1955 is ammo produced by the then-new Israel Military Industries:

th_1954IMI8x57S.jpg


eej = Märkisches Walzwerk G.m.b.H., Strausberg Bez. Potsdam

edq = Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken A.-G., Lübeck-Schlutup, Weslörstrasse, Germany
 
1955 is ammo produced by the then-new Israel Military Industries:

th_1954IMI8x57S.jpg


eej = Märkisches Walzwerk G.m.b.H., Strausberg Bez. Potsdam

edq = Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken A.-G., Lübeck-Schlutup, Weslörstrasse, Germany

Thanks for this excellent info. That's exactly what I was looking for. Any idea what the other markings indicate? Also, is the Israeli stuff corrosive? I know that the German stuff is.
 
I did some research and found out that '7' and '10' indicate lot number and that 'S*' indicates brass case.

I also found out that the darkened tip and red primer outline on the eej rounds indicate 'Armor-Piercing Tracer' or 'S.m.K. L'spur', which is also marked on the box labels. The label identifies them as orange-colored tracers.

The red primer outline on the edq rounds indicate 'Armor-Piercing' or 'S.m.K.'
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom