Surplus Availability - 7.62: 39x54R

bluemike807

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Location
Eastern Ontario
Im curious, why in the heck is it that 7.62x39 ammunition is so cheap and commonplace, despite it being obsolete (while I appreciate that AK47s and other x39-eaters are the most common firearms on Earth, the nations that invented and used them [Russia, China, former combloc] have, for the most part, switched over to 5.45x39), but 7.62x54R, which has been in constant production for well over 100 years, is used even more widely in combloc/developing nations as machine gun and rifle ammunition - yet its considerably more expensive and difficult to acquire? Why aren't there crates of x54R floating around, ubiquitous?

Damn it, will someone please think of the Mosins!
 
This is not a new issue at all. I've watched the last 30 years of feast and famine with surplus ammo. If they have the ammo you want, pick up lots of it because you never know when it dries out. Many years ago I picked up a dozen cases of .303 just because it was a good price. I don't shoot it, but I've traded it away for the stuff that I do shoot. x39 Russian will be the same way. Stock up what you can and make sure you have enough for your personal needs. It doesn't go bad. If in fact x54 Russian shows up on the market as rumors say, grab it. Not that I have a piles of money laying around, but I'll drop a few thousand on x54r because I know it will be a while before it shows up again. I'l reload for hunting and match rounds, but not for gravel pit fun.
 
Why aren't there crates of x54R floating around, ubiquitous?

Damn it, will someone please think of the Mosins!

Ask NRCAN (Natural Resources Canada).

They have set the flaming hoop so high (to get approval to import/sell any surplus ammo) it is difficult to jump thorough it without getting burnt.
 
its very difficult gettingsurplus in the first place as the UN say its a big no no. once you get a nation to agree to surplus this ammo must be approuved by NRCAN and they dont do it easy. once its done like the chez 39 its easy to bring more but each new calibre need a new aprobation...
 
While not trying to set fear into people, but surplus is just that, surplus. Eventually it will be gone. That doesn't mean the caliber won't be available, it simply means cheap abundant "surplus" won't be here forever. If you ask people here to go back 30 years, many calibers that used to be abundant are simply gone. Eventually this will be the case with x39 ammo, and is currently the issue with x51 and x54r ammo.

As a shooter as well as a dealer, I presume someday x39 will become like x51 did not 18 months ago. It went from 51¢ in 2008 to $1.00 today. Not even inflation comes close to this doubling of prices. Even brand new minted PRVI is 83¢ a round. (however you will get a 20¢ piece of brass out of it you can either sell or reload) I keep a reasonable supply on hand for myself knowing this to be a fact.

If you want to shoot your SKS's and 858's for the next ten years on the presumption tomorrow surplus x39 stops coming in, buy accordingly based on your shooting habits.
 
While not trying to set fear into people, but surplus is just that, surplus. Eventually it will be gone. That doesn't mean the caliber won't be available, it simply means cheap abundant "surplus" won't be here forever. If you ask people here to go back 30 years, many calibers that used to be abundant are simply gone. Eventually this will be the case with x39 ammo, and is currently the issue with x51 and x54r ammo.

As a shooter as well as a dealer, I presume someday x39 will become like x51 did not 18 months ago. It went from 51¢ in 2008 to $1.00 today. Not even inflation comes close to this doubling of prices. Even brand new minted PRVI is 83¢ a round. (however you will get a 20¢ piece of brass out of it you can either sell or reload) I keep a reasonable supply on hand for myself knowing this to be a fact.

If you want to shoot your SKS's and 858's for the next ten years on the presumption tomorrow surplus x39 stops coming in, buy accordingly based on your shooting habits.

The Russian stuff isn't to bad when it comes to that stuff. x54r is $22 for a box and x39 is around $15 meanwhile .303 is around $25 a box.
 
Thats my concern with x39 also.
The Czechs arent making anymore now that they are part of NATO.
They are just blowing out what is in the warehouses. Soon enough it will run dry, I suspect.
 
You people know that the most common caliber in the entire world for a center fire cartridge is the x39 round right? There are many, many countries that produce this round by the boat loads. Also the x54R round is still used in most comie bloc belt fed rifle's witch also means that there still is countries that produce this rounds. Further more the 7.62x51mm is out there also. Many countries still produce this round for there armies. The whole reason for the lack of ammo is the fact that our government makes it so hard for importer's to get there hands on ammo that they will let us shoot. But don't believe me ask Johnone how many rounds of x54R he has in storage as our brilliant government won't let him sell it to us. Also he has tried many times to get 7.62x51mm in for our M14's but our stupid port laws make it so hard to get them here that it would cost more than the premium stuff that we can buy locally.
I just love how we in Canada always get scared to call the kettle back even though it is. Remember that our great government think's firearms are a privilege.
 
Reloading for the larger calibers is what I had to resort to. It sucks that we don't have all the surplus ammo like the Yanks do.
 
Back
Top Bottom