Swedish Roller build Pics

Randy B

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
Madawaska
DSCN8922.jpg

DSCN8919.jpg

DSCN8923.jpg


Here is a 50-90 Sharps built on a Swedish Roller from Tradex.
Douglas 50-cal barrel blank that I cut the heavy octagon on.
MVA rough and ready rear sight Lyman copy front.
Wood from Treebone. Honey Bastonge Walnut
made new hinge pins, still need to bush the firing pin and polish the action but I put it together so I could give it a try.
Cheers Randy
 
Last edited:
Wonderful work, that is one fine looking roller, love how you have finished the furniture and the heavy barrel. 50/90 eh, that should pack a nice black powder punch. I think you will really like it, I really enjoy my 50/70 roller. Have not shot it much since my 71 Mauser and Springfield have been stealing attention from it in the last few months but it will come out this hunting season for sure. :)
 
Turnbull makes nice buttstocks, but I find their forestocks to be a bit on the low side, prefering my forestocks to come mid-way up the side flats.

Out of curiosity - why bush the firing pin or make new hinge pins? The Swedish parts are usually quite servicable.

Consider having the stocks checkered - it really looks great on RB sporters.
 
Turnbull makes nice buttstocks, but I find their forestocks to be a bit on the low side, prefering my forestocks to come mid-way up the side flats.

Out of curiosity - why bush the firing pin or make new hinge pins? The Swedish parts are usually quite servicable.

Consider having the stocks checkered - it really looks great on RB sporters.


This stock style is very true to the original sporter style as far as depth on the barrel goes but everyone has their own preferance!
The hinge pins were .005 smaller than the hammer and block on this rifle.
The side holes in the reciever were the same .so there was a bit of wobble that I didn`t like. It is so easy to make new pins why not? also this rifle has more slop in the firing pin hole than I like to see so no big issue to fix that too. There is a safety benifit to a smaller firing pin hole,when you start to push the loads. You are right though this one would work as it is. I just want to make it better.
 
Back
Top Bottom