Swiss 1882... detachable stock?

They are very rare. The reason being is the military never adopted the shoulder stock, however it was sold for people to buy privately. Since it was only sold privately there was very few ever made, which is why they are so expensive and rare.

Apparently when they come up for sale they are in the several thousand range. Might be better to manufacture one for yourself than to buy one.
 
Its one of those weird things where in trials they had the wooden stock, and the Swiss decided it was unnecessary. But they retained the cut out in the revolver for the stock even though they didn't use the stock. Much like putting a magazine cut-off on your rifles and then not using it, just a waste of money and effort.
 
Well I just ordered a 1882, and the idea of having a stock for it is pretty interesting.

I am going to keep my design simple, along the lines of the Arty Luger stock. Basically just a flat board of wood (I have a small bit of premium wood in the garage that was left over from a previous project, and this is about the exact size it would need to be), and I am going to make a small catch to hold it in place out of brass. It doesn't have to be too strong as the round isn't a powerhouse round and is rather just there to steady aim rather than absorb recoil.

I would prefer to start before the revolver arrives as I have time now on the Christmas break, not later on. If someone would be able to provide the dimensions for the stock cut-out in the revolver, I will provide my drawings (once complete) for the stock.
 
Congrats on the revolver. My Swiss 1882 is my absolute favourite in my collection and I wouldn't part with it for 3x what I paid for it.

If you need load ideas, I have plenty. My "go to" load throws 100 grain .314" H&N lead wadcutters 965 fps with precision. It is, in fact, the most accurate revolver I've ever shot, and that includes anything modern.

I'm going to make my own stock out of a cut down SKS birch stock. I sure could use some help with the brass catch. :)

I'm not near my revolver, but when I get home, I can measure the slot on the pistol grip. I know it's rather small and rectangular, and shouldn't be too hard to make a latch if you have some degree of metal working skills--which I do not.
 
Last edited:
Here is a rough sketch of the latch I am thinking of. Basically my intent is for it is to use a threaded brass rod and a wing nut to push the latching bit in place (maybe with a spring in there to force the latch downwards without the wingnut forcing the wedge up). Should be relatively easy to make (I intend to do it with a hack saw, some files, and my tap and die set) and should be fairly sturdy. As I mentioned for the stock I am leaning towards how the Germans did the Arty luger stocks which was simply a thin board as it isn't really taking any recoil and it is only there for support. No need to make it more complicated than it needs to be.



The measurements I would need to make this a accurate drawing is the total diameter (height, width), the total depth, and where the catch starts and stops (that would be the hardest one to get the measurements on).
 
dimensions;

There's always a bit of variance each time you use digital calipers, so I'll give a range.

Depth: 28.26 to 28.40 mm
Width: 12.12 to 12.20 mm
Height: 6.00 to 6.20 mm

Or in short, 6x12x28mm

I hope this helps.
 
It gives me something to start with, I guess I will have to wait for my 1882 to get the final dimensions but with this I can get started (leaving things a bit long) then adjusting to the revolver itself. Here is the drawing with the rough dimensions provided, some has been guessed at, but the general shape should be correct (or close to it). I used the larger dimensions as you can always bring something down to size, you can't bring something back. I also converted the measurements into Imperial, just because that is what all the tooling and devices I have for measuring is in.

 
If you have ever seen the 1882 Ordonnance Revolver Manual (II. Edition 1892), they show a nice drawing of the revolver along with the stock. There are no individual drawings/ diagrams of the stock however.
 
Well started on the wood side of it, still a bit to do, but I am going to wait until I have my brass stock (the store didn't open today but they are open tomorrow). Proper way to look at the stock is to have the cut out side facing upwards.

 
Sorry about the late update, I was visiting family until Wednesday which is actually when the brass arrived (had to order it in, apparently most places don't stock brass square stock anymore). As you can see it is coming along, currently working on the butt-plate mostly as I can't get the final dimensions or fit the stock to the revolver until I receive it.

Overall this project has been a pain, mainly due to the fact I don't have the proper tools to be doing this type of deal. My poor corded drill is really preforming like a champ. Other than that I am using a nice hacksaw (cost a extra 5$ over a standard one, but that 5$ is nothing considering how much of a better job it does), a couple standard files (one rough one and one fine one), and some needle files. If I had access to a milling machine I would be long done by this point. Total time spent on the machining side of things is so far at about 20 hours, most of that filing. I suspect it will take me about another 5-10 hours minimum to finish it off.

I have done some design changes, like the threaded bolts I have switched to peened brass rod mainly due to the fact I can't really drill a straight hole (lack of a drill press does that). Overall I think it is coming along nicely and hopefully will look good when done.







 
Back
Top Bottom