Swiss 1882... detachable stock?

Well here is a update, I have gotten the butt-plate 90-95% complete, currently it friction fits on the stock and I likely wouldn't even need screws, though I do intend to get at least one for it. Other than the screw attaching it, just some minor filing and stamping left (I plan on putting a serial number, and maybe a makers mark).







 
Well received the 1882 Revolver today, and I am impressed. As a general issue service pistol, the Swiss definitely got it right. Not only was it likely the most advanced revolver in 1882, I would be very confident in the design even today. Smooth double action with a crisp single action. Easy to disassemble, with numbers on the parts to guide you, and a very quick reloading and unloading system (not quite as fast as a swing out cylinder, but with some practice you can get close). It just feels right when holding it, and the sights are actually pretty good as well (not just the regular tiny notch that is so common on old revolvers).

What this means for the design is now the cut out portion of the stock needs to face downwards as otherwise you can't use the sights on the revolver (the problem when you design things without having the actual item, now I know how mechanics feel when they get the engineers design). Now that I have the main part fitted to the revolver, I need to make the catch mechanism, and based on what I have done so far, there is a lot of needle filing in my future.
 
Honestly I haven't done anything since these last photos, I have been really busy and finding the free time just hasn't happened. I have only had about 10 days off since Christmas break and other things have been the priority (such as other house projects, etc.). That being said soon I shall have a 5 days off and I hope to get it done then.

I don't currently have the time to make extras, or the capabilities. This was all done by hacksaw and file so far, that takes a significant amount of time. To just get the time and materials back I would have to charge at least 500$ (and that is at 10$ a hour). If I had a milling machine I could likely have this done in under 3 hours (less if I was making more than one), instead of the approximately 50 that will be put in by time it is done.

I will hopefully have it complete within a week or so, we shall see what my schedule allows, if not maybe in April.
 
Back
Top Bottom