Switzers Auction

tiriaq

Super Moderator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
Just looking at the prices realized at last Saturday's auction. Pretty serious bidding. I wonder how many folks bought reconverted guns unknowingly?
 
I didn't look at the prices from last Sat but the Sat before [17th] prices were pretty high. That seems to be a trend with internet bidding now so common. Add on the 15% premium + the taxes [13% for many of us] + the shipping costs; there are very few bargains. Many of these buyers must never add up all the charges and are trying to convince themselves they only paid the hammer price. The sales in Paris have gone the same way. Much better prices on CGN, but probably not the selection as some of the auctions.
Good luck ever trying to resell and recover your costs on the majority of them. My .05!
 
Definitely some auction fever. Items seem to routinely go for more than what I think the going rate is. The worst part is that, particularly with antiques, many of the items will have some serious deficiencies or have been buggered with over the last 100-200 years. Many are being bid up sight unseen with an unknown history.

If I can't see it up close and inspect it I try my best to stay away. Been burned before.

I agree that the prices realised are used as valuations by guys doing private sales. People however forget the 29-35% sellers premium that the consignee never sees. A $1000 auction items costs the buyer $1200 with premium and GST (not including any PST portion or a 3% VISA fee in some cases if applic). The seller/estate has approx 30% seller fee (depending on auction house) and only sees $700 in his/her pocket.
 
I participated in the auction for the first time. I picked up a restricted length S&W model 39 for the same price It would have cost me to buy a 12.6 and get it rebarelled at bits and pieces. I calculated the buyers and premium and tax and shipping and had a set price. This was just am easier route and a lot less time consuming that getting one rebarelled.
Stefan
 
Just looking at the prices realized at last Saturday's auction. Pretty serious bidding. I wonder how many folks bought reconverted guns unknowingly?

Prohibited handguns which have had the short barrels replaced to move them into Restricted?
 
I started this thread in reference to the antique auction held on the 24th - last Saturday, day before yesterday; not the general auction on the 17th.
By reconverted, I am referring to guns made as flintlocks, converted to percussion, then reconverted back to flintlock.
 
I was at the auction. I did notice higher prices on most non restricted than I usually see.

First I noticed an abnormally higher amount of pre auction bidding. I put it down to hunting season so some folks
were trying to bid up and get what they wanted without being online during the auction or being there caused they planned to be at camp or in a blind at the time.

During the auction I definitely noticed some out of whack bidding as nowarningshot noted with the Chinese short barreled 870 clones and some other stuff like some of the numerous Enfields.

Still the Colt rifle went for a lot less than it's supposed value.

I was successful in getting what I wanted (one of the 1895s and the Rem Model 8) at a reasonable price and actually less than I feared watching the bidding go up before the auction.

That auction had one of the ugliest guns I have ever seen. It looked like Frankenstein's gun.

I think it was an old Cooey where the stock had been repaired by bolting a piece of steel with sharp corners and edges over the break........
 
Some of the later stuff seemed pretty ok, at least from the web pictures - I sort of wish I'd bid on one of the P51s or P53s, but I already bought a couple of guns this month (including one at the 17th auction).
 
Back
Top Bottom