Switzers Auction

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Ok... So how many gunnutz were at Switzers auction today? I saw Tiriaq and danceswithempties but I'm curious who else was there and what you guys bought. Sorry to say I didn't buy a single gun as prices were higher than anticipated. I did however make a few guys pay for some nice stuff..... :D I did bid on the 43 percussion double and the .50 Marston target rifle. I'm still curious who outbid me on them...
 
Other CGNs were there, but I didn't get their boardnames.
The numerous Canadian made muzzleloading rifles went for less than I anticipated.
The Brown Bess listed as having a 43" barrel was a really nice Long Land musket which had unfortunately lost 3" of barrel. I would guess 1760s, 70s.
The 36" Bess was a Sea Service musket, with an older, well done reconversion.
Very decent India Pattern Bess.
By and large, the Sniders went for less than you would see in the EE.
Only thing I bought was a modest quality single shot muzzleloading shotgun for $100, which I think may be a shooter. Until the bore is scoured out, won't know for sure.
 
That Brown Bess with the '43"' barrel went for big money if I remember right? (auction book is in the truck). I guess there might be a little disappointment in that one. Not really educated in Bess's or Snider's to say what a good deal is/ was.
The Colt Navy & 1849 were a good deal as well as the Whitney Kennedy rifle I believe. I did get what I went there for & tomorrow I'll rip into it and see how much I over paid...:D
 
I was pretty shocked at some of the prices. Most of the sniders were very nice and you don't often see real cavalry carbines so having 4 in one place was cool. I did think the Sharps and Hankins was a bit of a deal although it's not my type of gun. I kicked myself for not going higher on that 10 gauge percussion as it was about as nice as they get and would have been fun to goose hunt with this fall...
 
The chap who bought all three Besses knew exactly what he was buying.
That 10ga was a nice gun.
I bid on the Toronto retailed 10ga muzzleloader for a while. Had shone my light down it, and the faces of the breechplugs were shiney, along with the bores. Not often that the light is reflected back. Pretty sure it would have been a shooter.
 
That Brown Bess with the '43"' barrel went for big money if I remember right? (auction book is in the truck). I guess there might be a little disappointment in that one. Not really educated in Bess's or Snider's to say what a good deal is/ was.
The Colt Navy & 1849 were a good deal as well as the Whitney Kennedy rifle I believe. I did get what I went there for & tomorrow I'll rip into it and see how much I over paid...:D

My bad. It looks like it was a Bess with a 39" barrel that fetch the best money today...:redface:
 
had to go to the EOHC meeting. last switzers auction I went to, i couldn't believe the prices. Even an SKS went for more than listed prices.
I think the prices get listed on the site for a short period of time.
 
That Mackenzie built 12 ga. sxs was of some interest to me only because it was from my home town, but not enough to bid it to the moon. I can research it here & somebody else can have fun shooting it.
 
I was born and grew up in Sarnia.
I bet that the MacKenzie who retailed the gun was related to the MacKenzie-Milne Hardware business that used to be downtown.
I would also bet that the Canadian marked double guns were Birmingham made, and the names were retailers. That would include the Rawbone double rifle.
A Sarnia gunmaker during the 19th century was named Richard Glynn. As a small boy I went with my Dad to a locksmith's shop on Front Street. This may have been 1950-1951. I remember an old man behind the counter. Turns out that the old man was Richard Glynn's son, and the shop was the old gunsmithing shop. All the gunsmithing tools, parts, etc. were still in the building. Eventually a noted gun collector from the Guelph area bought the whole load, 5000 odd items.
I think the SKSs went today for $180 or so, plus the 5% premium and HST. SKS rifles can be had for less. Auctions are what they are.
 
I was born and grew up in Sarnia.
I bet that the MacKenzie who retailed the gun was related to the MacKenzie-Milne Hardware business that used to be downtown.
I would also bet that the Canadian marked double guns were Birmingham made, and the names were retailers. That would include the Rawbone double rifle.
A Sarnia gunmaker during the 19th century was named Richard Glynn. As a small boy I went with my Dad to a locksmith's shop on Front Street. This may have been 1950-1951. I remember an old man behind the counter. Turns out that the old man was Richard Glynn's son, and the shop was the old gunsmithing shop. All the gunsmithing tools, parts, etc. were still in the building. Eventually a noted gun collector from the Guelph area bought the whole load, 5000 odd items.
I think the SKSs went today for $180 or so, plus the 5% premium and HST. SKS rifles can be had for less. Auctions are what they are.

I think my old man's dry cleaning business (North Star Cleaners?) use to be on Front Street, not too far from there? Before my time... But I recognize all the family names you have mentioned. Small world...
 
The .41 Colt went for $2500. No finish, serious end shake, seems to #### and index OK, bit loose. Well used grey-brown gun. Separate detached .38-40 cylinder went for $130. Don't know if the purchaser of the revolver bought the cylinder. Paul did point out that revolver + .38-40 cylinder = restricted firearm.
 
Yeah I'm going to rip into it today. It will more than likely likely need a bushing & arbor pin. No real exterior finish left but no serious pitting on the frame or bore. A little on the well used cylinder. Stampings are wore but some still visible. Screws have not been butchered. The sight was filled down, but all Numbers match. Grips look period correct with the the right brownish colour to them, but way to nice of condition to be original, Mechanics are good with the 4 clicks and proper lock up. Serial number makes it an 1888.
 
I pretty much went there for the Colts and to see a couple of the lever guns. If I hadn't picked up that S.A.A. I probably would have bid higher on the Kennedy. It wasn't without issue, but I think someone got a real good deal.
 
Back
Top Bottom