SXS 14 Ga Cartridge Shotguns Whos got one?

dingus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
363   4   0
Location
B.C
Anyone have any 14 Ga Cartridge shotguns SXS ?
Im more looking for info than anything.

I almost bought one years ago but am thinking i need one again.
14 Ga is not on the List of No calibers of Shotguns.
There hard to date old Hammer guns eh.

I had a Single shot 14 Ga stevens but am more looking for a SXS type Coach gun.
 
The closest that I can come is that I have heard of one. There apparently was a 14 guage straight sided shotshell made and the fellow who told me that he once owned one said that he could shoot 16 guage shells in the gun (and get away with it) The 14 guage greener police shell is a necked down 12 guage and I have formed them from 12 guage Winchester AA shells only. I made up a hot die (heated in boiling water) and formed the shells into it. The other brands that I tried, collapsed under the heat.

I also sleeved the chambers of a couple of side by sides to accept these shells and patterned them. One gun was open bored and the other full choked. I used 16 guage plastic shot cups to contain the shot. I ended up removed the sleeves and putting the guns back to 12 guage because the pattern was so open. I think you would have to extend the sleeve several inches down the barrel and use moderately hot loads to get sub guage shells to pattern in any reasonable fashion. The shortest chamber inserts I can think of run around 10" long

cheers mooncoon
 
Theres a Company in the USA that makes 14 Ga shotshell cases from soild brass stock on a CNC Lathe
called Rocky mountain shells something like that.
There expensive like $45 for 10 but they last forever if you dont crimp the wad in the end just glue em in.
I figger if he is listing 14 Ga shells there must be a few guns around still.
I agree with your idea on the 16 Ga but id want 14 ga marked hulls as 14 ga is not on the stupid shotgun list.

Be cool to have a 14 Ga SXS coach gun with 14 inch barrels thats a Perscribed Antique.
The one i nearly bought i had all lined up but was sniped at and auction.
It was a 14 ga SXS and had hammers was made pre 1898.
It went for like $450 US.
I was pissed i missed that gun as i never seen another one.
 
S. Grant 14 ga sxs

I have a "S. Grant", SXS, back action-side lever in 14 ga. and have used the "Rocky Mountain" brass shells with BP loads on grouse. Works fine... but you need to ensure the over-shot card is well glued or the charge in one barrel may become dislodged on firing the other barrel. I ordered 20 of the turned brass rounds.. and If someone is getting into this, they should order the loading package that matches the shells (not a lot more money and makes life easier).

Hard to beat the style and grace in the better old hammer guns
 
Back
Top Bottom