SxS Flintlock Shotgun

maple leaf

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
Does anyone know of any kits or manufacturers of modern madeSxS Flintlock Shotgun? I heard that Middlesex has some, but I also heard negative info regarding their quality. I'm looking for and leads in a flintlock of this kind.

Thanks!
 
The Middlesex gun is made in India; comes with all the baggage of Indian made guns.
A fine shooting condition original will cost as much as a decent used car. TotW has one for over $US10k. Epps has had them. Shooting an original - any original gun - is always a decision to be carefully considered. I have a fine Wilkinson 16ga single finished in September 1822. I am sure it would be a great shooter. But if a lock part were to ever break, I would be ill.
There is Brockway's book describing how to make a muzzleloading double. This is an advanced project. Barrels salvaged from a breechloading gun are used; these are easy enough to find. Lock pairs are available.
Saw a thread on one of the US muzzleloading sites where a double barrelled flint gun had been made by converting one of the Italian ml percussion doubles. Actually looked pretty good. The barrels were rebreeched. Might be a do-able option. Probably easier than Brockway's method.
There are makers in the US who have made them to order. Perhaps not as costly as a fine original, but still expensive.
I am not aware of any semi-finished precarved stocks, breech and tang castings.
 
Last edited:
Might have a lead on photos of a Pietta percussion double converted to flint. If this is a tidy conversion, might be the best option. A Pietta double is a much nicer gun than an Indian one.
 
Last edited:
Have a look on The Track of the Wolf site, should they have check to see if they'll ship to Canada
FWIW --- John
 
Have a look on The Track of the Wolf site, should they have check to see if they'll ship to Canada
FWIW --- John
TOW does ship to Canada with no problems.

I posted the question as I knew this community may have a source for a finished or kit. Seems like the Indian crap is all that is out there right now unfortunately. I'll keep looking.
 
Dixie Gun Works is listing a flint, Damascus barreled, double 16 gauge at $4500US. A French made, undated, fowler, also 16 ga., at $2995US. Another French flint shotgun at $8650US.
Then there's this guy in New Hampshire. Add the W's. .middlesexvillagetrading.com/MDBF.shtml
No border issues with flinters.
 
Found out more information about the Navy Arms/Pietta cap gun converted to flint. New plugs were made. These are longer, and of course are cut away to allow the locks to be set in. Touch hole liners fitted. Because the plugs are longer, a new underlug fitting was made, and attached behind the original. I suppose the original could be repositioned instead.
The locks are a pair of L&Rs.
This conversion isn't a kitchen table job, but would be more rewarding than reworking an Indian gun.
From the photos, it looks good.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom