SXS Shot gun ID

7mag

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Location
Kelowna
Hello. Im looking for ID on an old 12g SXS shotgun. I know the gun is worth nothing, but has been in the family for ever (probably since new). I have had the gun sitting around for 20 years now and would like to cleen it up and make a wall hanger out of it for my trophy/games room, just to keep it in the family..
What im looking for is a new or used butt stock. This one I have is in very poor condition. The metal I can fix up no problem, but not the stock.... The gun has what I believe miss-matched side plates. These side plates seem alot longer and skinnier that most sxs's have. The left one says "H.Spencers & Co" and the right one says "Janssan Sons & Co". Gun has external hammers. The barrel and reciever serial numbers match, 21325.
I did many google searches and didnt come up with much.
Here are a few pics of the side plates, barrel proofs and ratty old broken stock. Would like to figure out who manufactured this "hardware store" shotgun and where I could find new wood for it! Thanx for any help!


 
The bottom proofmark on the underside of the barrels is from Belgium meaning it is a generic shotgun made for export to/for numerous arms dealers in the early 1900's. The Jansson and Sons marking on the one sideplate is probably the correct one, but as you have already determined, many were replaceable. The guns were built and often the retailers name, company, etc was inscribed on the sideplates as to the retailer's wishes.
Hope this helps a bit.
 
I think finding a replacement stock would have just about zero chances of success. From the looks of that stock, your best bet would be to epoxy replacement wood onto the damaged area and then shape it and inlet it back to what it looked like originally. Don't do the shaping and then the gluing, epoxy more than you need and then shape. Spencer's is probably the company that sold the gun. Also the crown over the oval cartouche puts the gun after I think 1893

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks for all the great help! Doing a google search for Neumann Bros, I have to agree thats what it is for sure. I may have to go the rout of fixing the stock as mooncoon suggests as im sure I will never find a replacement.
Cheers,
Scott
 
As Mooncoon said - cut away the broken or oil-soaked wood, epoxy a new over sized replacement piece and re-inlet the locks and trigger plate. You have a good starting point in that the upper section of the grip area looks solid so you can use the tang mortice to align the receiver and subsequent parts as you re-inlet. With a bit of searching you should also be able to find a steel butt-plate that will fit close enough for your purpose. A rewarding DIY winter project.
 
I'd repair the old stock, if for no other reason than to produce a pattern for a copy. Looks like a nice piece of wood - all the more incentive to keep it.
Too bad your so far away, this type of work is well a "Hobby" for me and I work very cheaply too boot. I recently repaired a stock on a back action that was
broken into four pieces at the wrist. Go for it, fix it, chances are you'll not find a replacement. --- John ** I have a few pics. of that job should anyone be interested / post here for "encouragement" purposes**
 
Back
Top Bottom