T1X accuracy issues

tommy88

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Location
Toronto
I've tried all the fancy ammo that I could get my mitts on and it seems like theres about 4 brands (eley, lapua, etc) that my barrel likes however they all shoot the same, no clear winner. At 100m I get about 2MOA. Ive got a quality high magnification scope, original Tupperware stock and aftermarket bottom metal. Are there any tricks that I should be aware of with T1X's?
 
The factory trigger on the T1x’s give you a pretty good/usable range, but I put YoDave springs in wherever possible and adjust to about 60%

I’ve never fed a T1X any higher grade than SK Rifle match and even found great results with even lesser ammo working my way up to the SK level.

I might also suggest that how a 22LR subsonic round behaves @ 50m is different than it does @ 100. I’ve shot gophers with 22LR out 2.5X + that far, but do I think 22LR is a good or even 1/2 decent 100 yard option? No I do not.

So, to be printing decent groups @ 100 yards with 22LR…basically any error gets amplified. Let’s remember that a subsonic 22LR round is flying about 940fps @ the 300’ mark…and is basically shaped like a beer can. There can be no wind if you want good results…your technique has to be perfect and the ammo has to be the the gun’s top pick, and proven with tons of practice and super tight groups @ 50yards.

I would have no 22LR, 100Y tight group aspirations without consistently printing brag-worthy 50Y groups.

A coupe of unexpected T1x appetite preferences I’ve seen? Unfortunately for SK/AB gophers X you-don’t-wanna-know…CCI Velocitors are bought in case QTY. SK Flatnose was great for target shooting, no longer made? Inside of 50 yards plinking/pesting-never miss with CCI SV

Literally 2 guns rolling off the line one after the other can show different preferences. That’s how I treat it anyway. Buy/try lots of variety, leave Winchester/Remington branded ammo out and save some time
 
Stock torque can have a profound effect on these 22's. I find with mine.. in general, 30-35 in lbs is the sweet spot. If you have an inch lbs screwdriver or wrench, loctite the stock screw threads, start at 25lbs, and increase in small increments, shooting careful groups in between. The YoDave spring really helps shoot good groups as well.
 
every rifle has its own character, the T1X I had a stiffy for CCI SV, everything else including XACT was just mediocre. the rifle would print consistently in the .4-.5 range at 50 yds with SV but the very best it would do with everything else was .6-.7 at the same distance and some very pricey ammo was worse than that.
 
Is your rifle 'sub-MOA' at 50 ? Do you have the trigger adjusted as low as possible ? Do you use a Very Stable Front/Rear rest system (as Jahn posted while I was still typing) ? I've never even fired a T1X, but my VMTR often shoots 0.3-4xx at 50 and 'sub- 1-1/5" at 100. I have a Timney at ca 3-5-oz and an 8-34x56 FFP scope, shooting from a one-piece sled.

Range CZ457 VMTR 100yd 10-22-2024 COPY.jpg Range 2024-10-22 pic for CGN 100yd Challenge #1.jpg
 
Im not the best shot in the world. But as soon as a switched to my tikka T3 308 in factory stock, with a 2-7 scope, I put 5 rounds of hunting ammo into an inch at 100. The point of this rig is to make me a better shooter/hunter. Im assuming theres an issue when my lightweight 308 shoots better then my 22.

22 has a older gen meopta 6-18x50
308 has a leupold VX2 2-7

I used a front and rear rest/bag and shoot from the prone or off a heavy bench at a range
 
Maybe its just me but I find 22 shooting accuracy is more myself than equipment.

Those slow moving rounds aren't forgiving if shooting technique isnt solid. I can do .3 group at 50 then .6 . I known that its me. 100 seems to be 1.5 area. This is with a T1X, and various ammo.

I can definitely shoot centerfire with so much more consistency as far as groups go. I do enjoy the challenges of 22LR.
 
I did check over some previous targets. I found that that the rifle likes eley match, eley club, lapua centre x, cci std vel, and aguila target roughly the same.

50m is .5 to .7 averages
80m is 1.1 to 1.4 averages
100m is like 2 ish

Maybe you guys are right about the wind at 100. Im going to do some shooting in a week or so. Ill see what I come up with at 50m.
 
Back
Top Bottom