While you are on the site, in your browser find and click "Add to Home Screen" A CGN beaver app icon will then be created to your phone that is directly link to the site.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Has anyone shot or owned one of these Taylors & Co 1885 Single Shot High-Wall in 38-55 (30" Barrel) ?
I'm looking at getting a BP Cartridge in 38-55 and these look very interesting...
A friend has the Lyman Mini Sharps and has had a few problems with it (week firing pin, set trigger stopped working) so have ruled them out.
I have read that the Cimarron has has had problems with the bore size..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Taylor arms I think are made by uberti and anyone that I shot with have sold them and bought a Shiloh I would buy a 45/70 an down load it. The reloading supplies are more plentiful
Montana Vintage Arms have announced the production of a 90%-finished High Wall action in the white, if doing some work attracts you. Details from 406-388-4027.
Bought one from Wolverine a bit over a year ago. I've not really shot it enough to nail it all down yet but that's hardly the gun's fault. The gun itself is a delight. It's made to a high quality fit and finish. It is sized to take the shorter length brass and needs a .376 to .377 size bullet. Slugging the bore indicated a .375 to .376 groove diameter depending on where I measured the slug I pushed through.
The round itself in these guns is great to shoot. It's got enough spirit that you know you're not shooting a light "toy" combination. But it's not so sharp a recoil that your shoulder is beaten up by the time you've fired off a dozen shots like I've gotten from a lot of .45-70 single shot rifles.
The .38-55 is sort of an awkward round to be a fan of. It has had a confused history of sizes for the bore and bullets as it moved from the old single shot rifles to the lever action. So be aware that a little more checking and attention is going to be needed if you want to adopt this cartridge and use it in the older and replicas of single shot rifles. Most of the bullets out there are the larger .379 size which were popular later with the lever action guns. But if you are willing to take on this slight extra challenge the round itself is a real delight to shoot.
I've had some examples of loads I did which show real promise for accuracy. But getting a consistent bullet supply so far as been an issue. I'm TRYING to make do with Bullet Barn .376 sized 255gn LRNFP GC bullets but have not found the right load yet. I'm not sure it is just a case of finding the load or if it's due to the gas checks these have which I don't really need. I did have a bag of .377 diameter 265gn LRNFP plain base bullets which were amazing. But the 200 of those was used up far too soon in my companion antique rolling block rifle before I got my Taylor's/Uberti 1885.
The action when cycling the 1885's lever is smooth and crisp. No funny feeling catches or anything else. The trigger on mine is a touch high for effort but I'll deal with that someday soon. But it does sort of suggest that the set trigger would not be a bad option to pay for if you're not the sort to journey inside for some tinkering and tuning.
As for the Mini Sharps keep in mind that these are made by Chiappa and sold through Lyman. I've been bitten myself by Chiappa's questionable quality and manufacturing and know of a half dozen other shooters directly that have bought and run into problems with Chiappa guns. So it's no surprise to me to see you running into an owner with a Chiappa that is giving them problems.