The Bess,her bayonet and owners saved Canada.

QM 8687

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
255   0   2
Location
Ontario
Raise a pint to this fact-200 years ago yesterday, 700 Brits,40 Militia and a dozen natives using their Bess Muskets took part in a suicide 2am bayonet attack on 2,200 Yanks, holding the high ground, with 7 cannons. After 1 year, 6,000 Yanks had the Niagara Penn. and 1,000 Brits were about done, chased to Burlingon heights. 2,200 US troops camped at Stoney Creek with 800 more 3 miles away. A desperate attack was made,Billy Green a local acted as a guide, and using the password he, his brother or someone else had obtained, helped these soldiers get close to and eliminate 4 sentries along a 7 mile night patrol,found another 50 sleeping and made prisoner, then onto the US camp. A group of 200 US soldiers, plus 20 cooks were 300 yds ahead from the rest of the US line, when all hell broke loose. These 220 were completely overrun by 425 bayonet charging men of the Brit 49th. The survivors ran for their lines but not until they fired 3-4 volleys, before both getting overwelmed by Bess bayonets to their front and hammered by 6 US cannons to their backs. From here the Brit 49th and 8th, advanced on to bottom of the high ground. After half an hour the battle was about done, the Yanks were winning. A forlorn hope attack was made on the 100 US gunners unarmed of personal weapons, out of the dark by 43 Brits and militiamen. Scrambling for their lives, many were bayoneted, or shot in the head, and their 2 only Generals arrived at the worst possible time, only to become POW's. In 1 hr it was over, Yanks held the south line with 450 men most others ran to the swamps and woods, Brits with about 300 held the rest. By sunrise the Brits retired, with 2 cannons with horses,2 Generals and 123 other prisoners. By noon the Yanks retreated,never to venture so deep again,leaving 38 of their dead along with 23 Brits to be buried by the locals. The net and the US gov. only admit to 19 US dead. Truth is the individual company and battalionCommanders stated that the US Artillery, 5th, 20th,21st,22nd,23rd and 25th Infantry had about 70 dead. ---If I bored you all with this, forgive me, you see I was raised near the battlefield, and my school sat on it's left flank.We weretold by desendants that the creek, swamps and house lots around us had the buried and some never found bodies of dozens of US soldiers. As I look at one of my Bess muskets and bayonet I wonder about that fateful night when Canada was saved yet 99 percent of Canadians don't even know about it. 200 years ago to the hour, I stood there, to say my thanks to the men,their Bess muskets and bayonets that saved Canada.
 
Last edited:
I know the area well. The Yanks were also harassed by Naval guns from Lake Ontario along their retreat if I recall correctly?...not to mention John Norton and a hand full of Natives on the Escarpment flank. It was actually a carefully planned (though desperate) attack. The parties had been in Burlington for some time discussing options.

Bayonet Charge at night! That takes...balls! {pun intended}
 
Common, am I the only one with a T-shirt that says that?
080620131501.jpg
 
Last edited:
I had it almost correct.

From wiki

The 19th century introduced the concept of the sword bayonet, a long-bladed weapon with a single- or double-edged blade that could also be used as a shortsword. Its initial purpose was to ensure that riflemen, when in ranks with musketmen, whose weapons were longer, could form square properly to fend off cavalry attacks, when sword bayonets were fitted. A prime early example of a sword bayonet-fitted rifle is the British Infantry Rifle of 1800-1840, later known as the "Baker Rifle" (to this day, no matter what length of bayonet, British rifle regiments "fix swords").


I don't know if it's period correct but in the 1812 re-enactments we use 'fix bayonets' while on parade. Not during the mock battles though. Someone might actually get bayonetted, then we're all in trouble
 
Keep in mind that war started because the Brits were shangheing Sailors off American ships to fight in their wars with the French. The attack on Canada was actualy a sideshow to retaliate.
 
...Hmmm most of those "pressed" into Naval Service were in fact British and had no American Citizenship (some were actually characterized as deserters from the Royal Navy and known to it). I do believe it happened on one occasion and the American Congress flipped the "F" out, but to say this action by the British was the reason for Declaring War isn't accurate.
 
[youtube]6zyGrVQxTtA[/youtube]

This is a short video taken on June 06 2013 at the Battle of Stoney Creek Monument and grounds.

It was sad to see that 200 years later a few others and I where the only ones in attendance on the actual day of the anniversary.

100 years ago this site was dedicated by Queen Mary.

A re-enactment weekend was held on May 31 to June 02, 2113

Jeepers Creepers, George, where were you at 02:00, I was there also.

Great posting.
 
Last edited:
Garth--Great video. Yes I was there 0430 hrs 06 June 2013, (about 500 yds North of you)Left flank where the 49th Light Company 200 yrs to the hour earlier had just conquered the US 25th. As witnessed by Billy Green"that's where we lost most of our men we got bunched right down under them." And "When it commenced to get light they were running in all directions."-atop the embankment. The area where the creek is close and the steepest part of the bank about 35ft high. It is the last sliver of untouched battle soil, tad difficult to get to, but once there it is as it was 200years ago- a step back in time. When you are there you are alone, though hundreds of people live only a football field away, this last sliver is untouched and unknown. When we were kids, Alias, this site, and many others of us would hang around this turf-we knew a little about, before books and reenacting became the norm. Heck we walked through Hopkin Park, the swamp, and crossed the creek at the embankment every day going to school, stepping exactly where soldiers fought and died.We got lots of muket balls, friends showd me cannon balls. A guy I knew had a Bess musket above the fireplace on lake ave, said it was used in the battle of Stoney Creek. Ms Jackson was a classmate, showed us stuff from the battlefield and her house, before she donated it to the city as a museum, blood covered wood floors and all. One guy found a oxidised Bess Bayonet within the rocks the embankment- if it could only talk. I also recorded a little video too, funny how we can hear faint voices in the background as I taped the empty woods at the creek near the knoll at dawn.
Just a final note- 200 yrs ago The locals buried 61 day of the battle from the battle field. However where are the 4 sentries, the many KIA at William Gage house behind todays Green Acres, the 30 wounded Americans one of Col Harvey's men saw in the woods etc. If skeletons were constantly being unearthed by the Smith family at Smiths knoll(cannon location) and nearby 12 acres from 1880' up to the 1960's, then I say there are dozens more that perished in the swamps and woods near by too. Perhaps Billy Green, and the US Colonel Cristie of the 13th.were correct in estimating 400-500 dead both sides.
 
Last edited:
Amazing how we where thinking about the same thoughts that very day.
I started out by the grave yard and worked my way around the whole area at around 04:00.
I went for breakfast later and came back for the video on my stinkin phone.
I should have brought my GoPro camera.
I was also told years ago that the KIA estimates where way off of the official toll.
 
Back
Top Bottom