The big Ducker.

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
A friend has this market gun, an 8 gauge. (.84 in. bore). It's a C.S. Shattuck made in Hatfield, Mass., around 1880-1890. About 12 pounds. 35+ in. barrel. American stamped on top. 3+ in. chamber. It's a bit rough all over, but all there, working cond. Bore has seen a lot of black powder.
He's wondering how much it may be worth, and any other info. It will be for sale.
Thanks, Bill.



P1030864.jpg


P1030867.jpg
 
wow that is awesome, Im sure mooncoon will chime in.

any chance of getting a picture of the bore quality ?

cheers, McLean

The bore hasn't been cleaned much yet, but I wouldn't expect too much. Not a sewer pipe, would be a shooter I think. I don't have the gun here, could try a pic some other day.
 
From Flaydermann, Shattuck seems to have been in business from about 1880 to about 1915 and may have contracted out some of his guns to Iver Johnson and to Mosberg. I could not find any shotguns by him in Flayderman but I paid $600 for my cartridge 8 guage (not a Shattuck). While mine is in better condition I think the gun in the photo would probably run $5-$600 perhaps more. To some extent the price of such guns is based more on them being unusual and comparatively rare.

the gun in the photo looks like it is using the Frank Wesson locking system. Wesson rifles were made into the 1880s so may be Shattuck contracted him to make the shotgun or made the shotgun under license from Wesson

cheers mooncoon
 
Hell of a bunny gun. I remember reading in the double gun journal that most states have banned hunting with the 8ga. Does Canada follow a similar law regulating the use of an 8ga for hunting?
 
Hell of a bunny gun. I remember reading in the double gun journal that most states have banned hunting with the 8ga. Does Canada follow a similar law regulating the use of an 8ga for hunting?

You may be talking apples and oranges. 8 guage is banned for migratory birds but is legal for everything else. The guage ban is on the basis of an international treaty between Canada, the US and I think Mexico rather than being a country or state or provincial law

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom