'K...so with all the support here I was inspired to take this 160 year old rifle apart. To my utter amazement I don't think I messed anything up

The stock was as dry as you could well imagine and I have it slathered in linseed oil as we speak. I was also amazed that the breech plug came out

. The barrel is dark in the recesses but the rifling itself looks very good.
I took 1 of the .45cal balls {mooncoon, I've now noticed the balls are actually .44 on the box} and slugged the barrel without a patch to get a feel for it. The muzzle end was tight, really tight until about 8 inches down then it was much easier { I'm thinking it took 8 inches to groove the ball??} I can't even imagine how tight that would be with a patch. Its a good thing I bought a fiber ram rod, I can see me breaking the hickory one.
On the breech face next to the plug tang is stamped 7 1/4...is this the twist rate for this barrel?
One more thing guys. The plug is drilled straight through the threads {maybe 3/16 hole}, should I pack this hole with grease or neverseize? It seems to me to be a means of lubricating the threads when inside the barrel. I had penetrating oil sitting on top of this plug for 3 months {down the barrel} and I'm positive that is the only reason the plug came out and I'd like to keep it that way.
thanks again, plinker 777
Oh yea; the .44 cal ball fell down the barrel of the .47 cal rifle. It barely if at all even contacts the rifling, cushion of air rushing out the nipple is the only resistance. So I'm on the hunt for a 460/ .46cal ball mold...good luck right! Jeff Tanner will be receiving some of my cash I do believe.