Thinking about a Colt SAA probably new production .... what to consider?

nntw

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Location
The GTA
not sure i have the patience for tinkering with an old one which makes me think recent or current production (so forgive me for posting in the antiques thread!).

but, there's something seductive about the shape, and heritage of the Colt Single Action Army.

i'd be tempted to go .357, for ease of buying ammunition, and possibly mating up with a lever action rifle eventually, but beyond that what should I be aware of if i were to purchase a current production Colt? barrel length (obviously not prohib)? finish (blued vs nickel)? etc. etc.

thanks for any thoughts!
 
Last edited:
Are you thinking about a Colt or a clone,from what I have read current production of Colt 1873 SAA is limited to Colt Custom Shop ie:$$$.
 
Good choice, you may have come a little late to the game, Colt this year has dropped some calibers including 38WCF and 44WCF, leaving 45 Colt and 357 as regular offerings. The others can still be ordered but.....good luck, longer wait on a gun that already has a lot of people waiting.

You have three barrel length choices, 4 3/4, 5 1/2 and 7 1/2. Personal preference, I am a 5 1/2 guy like the balance better, but everyone has their own rationale.

Blued and colour case looks great, and nickel looks great, if you don't mind seeing fingerprints on it when handled and dont mind the soot from gunpowder on it, again its personal preference.

If you just want the look, then you can get that, if you like historical, go 45 Colt, its the original and proper and historical chambering, and you will enjoy shooting it.

I agree that the Colt SAA is a thing of beauty, its an iconic piece, and like the wags say, "Why own a copy when you can own a Colt?"
 
I didn't even know you could get a new Colt SAA...I went with Marstar's Pietta 1873 Peacemaker 4.75 inch in .357 Mag. It should get here tomorrow. I'm not really a revolver guy but figured everyone should have at least one (and in my case I didn't want to break the bank). I know this might not be too helpful in the decision but at least you'll know where I got the clone from if you decide to go that route.
 
thanks for the replies.

i'd actually like a COLT.... my understanding is that .357 and .45colt are still in production. saw a .44-40 for sale.

have seen a few 4 3/4 for sale- seems the most common length.

and yeah, not exactly cheap... but suspect they retain their value
 
How well do nickel and blued finish stand up?

see some SAA's (and other revolvers) where it says 'cylinder has never been turned'.

how well does nickel compare for wear?
 
If the gun is properly timed the cylinder bolt will not "drag" across the cylinder and cause marks. I have bought several revolvers with these marks and fixed the timing so that further damage is avoided.
 
see some SAA's (and other revolvers) where it says 'cylinder has never been turned'.

how well does nickel compare for wear?

If you can afford it go with an original Colt. There was an unfired 3rd generation Colt SAA on EE not that long ago for $1800(good deal, as new order from the custom shop after importation will likely be much more). If you can't swing that kind of cash the clones are a perfectly fine alternative(Skinny 1950 has a beautiful example). If you are going to keep your guns longer than 50+ years the nickle finish will likely hold up a little better, otherwise it's just purely personal preference unless you like to store your guns wet outside.
 
I would go with a Ruger Vaquero or a super blackhawk. I think both of them are extremely well made and look very similar to a Colt and cost about 1/3 the price. I would also lean towards a 44-40 or a 45 Colt in part because I think they have better resale value to cowboy action shooters

cheers mooncoon
 
I would go with a Ruger Vaquero or a super blackhawk. I think both of them are extremely well made and look very similar to a Colt and cost about 1/3 the price. I would also lean towards a 44-40 or a 45 Colt in part because I think they have better resale value to cowboy action shooters

cheers mooncoon

thanks for the thoughts.... i don't disagree with any of it.

just trying to figure out whether i'm buying this to shoot, or just to adimire!
 
thanks for the thoughts.... i don't disagree with any of it.

just trying to figure out whether i'm buying this to shoot, or just to adimire!

If mostly just to admire go with a First Gen SAA not that you can't shoot it just that it will retain its value .
 
If mostly just to admire go with a First Gen SAA not that you can't shoot it just that it will retain its value .

yeah... not sure my budget will permit a first gen, or at least not one off this website!
 
not sure i have the patience for tinkering with an old one which makes me think recent or current production (so forgive me for posting in the antiques thread!).

but, there's something seductive about the shape, and heritage of the Colt Single Action Army.

thanks for any thoughts!

Hello nntw,

I like all barrel lengths and finish but I prefer the gunfighter length 4 3/4'' because from a holster it is the fastest to draw. (More balanced too for me)
Here are a few different generations, lengths and finish...if it could help you!
DSCN0687.jpg

DSCN0684.jpg

P2190016.jpg

P2190013.jpg

P2190012.jpg
 
I would go with a Ruger Vaquero or a super blackhawk. I think both of them are extremely well made and look very similar to a Colt and cost about 1/3 the price. I would also lean towards a 44-40 or a 45 Colt in part because I think they have better resale value to cowboy action shooters

cheers mooncoon

I second that. There are also some US gunmakers out there which do low production repos.

Go to the Calgary gunshow this weekend and I am sure you will find what you like.
 
Hello nntw,

I like all barrel lengths and finish but I prefer the gunfighter length 4 3/4'' because from a holster it is the fastest to draw. (More balanced too for me)
Here are a few different generations, lengths and finish...if it could help you!
my eyes, my eyes!!!! struck blind (well, almost) by all the beauty!

thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom