Thinking about a Colt SAA probably new production .... what to consider?

I just bought a Uberti 45 colt long 1875 remmington with a 7.5 inch barrel . It came with a extra cylinder in 45 acp. I find it is becoming my favorite revolver.
 
Ammunition cost for .44-40- yikes!

I would go with a Ruger Vaquero or a super blackhawk. I think both of them are extremely well made and look very similar to a Colt and cost about 1/3 the price. I would also lean towards a 44-40 or a 45 Colt in part because I think they have better resale value to cowboy action shooters

cheers mooncoon


If I'm reading the ads right, .44-40 is about 2 x the price of .357!!! Don't reload (yet, at least) so this would be a powerful incentive to stick with .357.
 
38 cal is ok but your selling yourself short by discounting a nice 44/45 cal big and heavy bullet out of a SAA based on cost of ammo, learn to reload.
 
38 cal is ok but your selling yourself short by discounting a nice 44/45 cal big and heavy bullet out of a SAA based on cost of ammo, learn to reload.

it's on the 'to do' list, but with a 6 yr old and 8 yr old, the time i get for hobbies is currently limited...
 
it's on the 'to do' list, but with a 6 yr old and 8 yr old, the time i get for hobbies is currently limited...

Since kids also cost money to maintain, that is probably an excellent argument in favour of the Ruger, regardless of caliber. You could probably buy a press in a gun show for under $100 and dies in a show for $20 - $25 or buy new Lee carbide dies for around $40. Loading does not take all that long and if you are strapped for cash, reloading (with cast bullets) would break even on about your third box of 50 shells

cheers mooncoon
 
I know that was probably said in jest, Schneider - but you are absolutely right - plus: you can shoot all afternoon for 10 bucks! I should have bought one years ago but got wowed by the fancy autos the cool kids were shooting. Now I am almost a full fledged black powder geek!

Ya can't beat a cheap Uberti repro and flask full of black powder for fun...
 
If you want fancy you can get a stainless ruger old army your still purchasing the best for less then a quarter to third of the price of a Colt SAA. And I agree with the cap and ball comment, its the most shot of my revolvers. Colt also made some 2nd or third gen cap and ball revolvers so if you still want the "real deal" you can get one, again for much less then the price of a SAA.

You can also get conversion cylinders for the cap and ball revolvers so you can shoot cartridges.
 
missed out on a colt-branded second- gen navy a while ago; bought a commander instead. : ) think it was an estate sale- a heck of an estate!
 
shooterschoice has new Colt SAA and clones available, Top notch dealer but no sponsor, just google the name, pics and prices are all on their website, check out the candy store, lol.
 
Back
Top Bottom