Thompson impact problem

300dakota

Member
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Location
La Minerve Qc
Hi all !!! Well I bought 2 impact rifles with the cabelas powderhorn scope and I can't get the bloody thing to group . I'm using 150gr of triple 7 pyrodex in pellet form. Topped with 250gr Hornady sabbot, I'm grouping 6 inches at 50 meters and at 100 I'll be lucky to get 3 shots on target ! I know I should try less powder but the reason I got this one was to have a "magnum muzzleloader" !
 
First off, get a buddy that can shoot good to try it out, same bullet/powder charge. If it's still lousy, try a different powder/bullet combo. If it's still lousy, make sure the bases/mounts/rings are tight. Try pyrodex powder or triple 7 loose powders, start around 80 grains and walk up. If you can't get somewhere after that, wrap it around a tree. You're welcome.
 
First off I'm very capable of 1 inch groups @ 100 meters with my tradition muzzleloader so I'm not the problem .. I have a weaver base and leupold qd rings on it .... I was thinking the scope or maybee the bullet weight...
 
I very much doubt that you will get good groups with 150g of powder. Most of these muzzle loaders like around the 100g load. I would also try Blackhorn 209 powder. It is non corrosive, has more energy, and is a snap to clean up. Also try other sabots and bullet combinations. It takes a lot of shooting to be good enough for long range shooting with a muzzleloader. The trajectory of a big bullet makes it tough shooting past 150 yards, even with a big charge of powder, if you can find one that is accurate. I have been shooting muzzle loaders for 30 years and only twice shot a deer over 100 yards. They are my favorite rifle for deer hunting and I always fill my tag. My load is 100g of Blackhorn and a 250g shockwave in a yellow sabot.
 
Don't buy into the magnum hype. Your rifle does indeed shoot magnum loads (just not well). 90 grains of pyrodex and a 300 gr XTP has been my stable for years.
 
Is the bullet too loose going down the barrel?
Can you swap the scope out to iron sights and try again at 30 yards and see if it groups.
My guess is the scope is pooched. Try another one to check.
Blackhorn all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck
 
150gr of powder is likely your problem. I've taken down some good size game with 100gr (give or take a couple of grains). I'm guessing a couple hundred thousand other hunters have as well over the years.
 
Not all sabots handle magnum loads well...which Hornady sabot/bullet are you using? I've got some very accurate loads over 150 grains of Pyrodex but it does take some experimentation.
 
Back
Top Bottom