Thos Parker SxS

kastles

Regular
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I went to a gun auction and picked up a 12g Thos Parker SxS shotgun with external hammers cause I always wanted one. It had a dent in the muzzle so I brought it to the local gunsmith to fix and he informed me that it would be a bad idea to shoot modern loads through it. No problem. Just that I have no idea how to load black powder shotshells. I've got a RCBS Mini-Grand I picked up at a closing out sale for a song a few years back and have read the book on shotshell reloading a couple times. Where can I find some good info on reloading black powder and is there anyone in S.O.(I am in Clinton and work in London) that wouldn't mind giving me a demo cause I learn better hands on. Thanks

kastles
 
I load 80 grains of 2F then a muzzle loading cushion wad then 1 oz of shot and use a star crimp. I probably should use a card wad between the shot and cushion wad as I think it improves the patterns.
While I think of it, don't use a powder thrower to measure black powder. Some concern about creating a spark and further you get fine black powder dust around the drum of the RCBS type and that leads to corrosion (I have found)
I should add that you should confirm that the gun is reasonably tight and no sign of rust coming through the welds in the barrel and while you can live with shallow pitting in the barrel, no deep pits. Check the ribs to make sure they are not loose or lifting and the muzzle wall thickness should be over .020".

cheers mooncoon
 
You will want to check chamber length. If they are shorter than 2 3/4", you will need to trim the cases.
With 2 1/2" shells, I use an antique roll crimper. Cut my own wads from card and cork. Lube the cork filler wads. 7/8 or 1 oz of shot, equal volume of 2F powder. Don't use plastic shot cups. Adjust the wad column to provide enough case for the crimp.
 
You will want to check chamber length. If they are shorter than 2 3/4", you will need to trim the cases.
With 2 1/2" shells, I use an antique roll crimper. Cut my own wads from card and cork. Lube the cork filler wads. 7/8 or 1 oz of shot, equal volume of 2F powder. Don't use plastic shot cups. Adjust the wad column to provide enough case for the crimp.
I also use a lubed wad, it helps in keeping the fouling down.
I have read numerous times about how it is not needed, but in my muzzle loaders I is mandatory or I won't get the wads down easily after a few shots, and in my cartridge guns the barrels clean up a lot faster if i have a lubed wad in there.
80 grains of FFG with an equal amount of shot in a brass cases , with a nitro card wad, a lubed cushion wad, an .035 wad on top of the cushion( so the shot does not inbed into the wad) , shot, then an over shot wad and a shot of Tremclad paint will do it up!:)
WRhammerdouble.jpg

BTW,If you use brass cases, you need to use wads a gauge ;larger than the gun, so they will have sufficient seal on the case.
PM me if you need any contacts, etc for supplies
Cat
 
Back
Top Bottom