Three guns with unusual stories.

drm3m

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Location
Montreal Quebec


TOP;
Remington-Rider D/A (fluted cylinder) New Model Belt Revolver.
.36 caliber, manufactured in 1863.
I received this percussion revolver in a trade on September 1 2013.
This revolver was one of five guns that were found in a Mexican safety deposit box.

MIDDLE;
Model 1851 Colt Navy Revolver (Mariallly marked.)
.36 caliber, manufactured in 1857.
U.S. stamped on the left frame with a WAT cartouche for William Anderson Thornton clearly visible on the right grip.




I bought this Colt on October 16 2015 from a local dealer that I know who was in the process of purchasing it from a fellow that responded to one of his newspaper ads.
Apparently this fellow found the Colt lying on top of a wooden beam in the basement of an old tavern that was to be demolished.
I found the tavern and took photos of it being demolished.
The end of the tavern.




BOTTOM;
Smith & Wesson Model No.2 Old Army Revolver (a.k.a.Model No.2 Army.)
This particular gun was manufactured in 1865.
The Number 2 is a tip-up, spur trigger, six shot revolver designed to fire a cartridge known today as the .32 Long Rim Fire.
This S&W was given to me by my father-in-law in December 1991.



On April 17 1960 an intruder arrived at his house with this revolver in an attempt to rob him.
A struggle ensued and my father-in-law hit him in the stomach which cased the gun to fall on the floor and the fellow fled the house running.
I had a researcher look for the newspaper article that described this event which I received recently---the article is dated April 18 1960 the following day.



The gun was missing the ejector pin (under the barrel) which I tried to find for many years in the U.S. with no luck.
Ironically enough I found a local fellow that had two of these guns and I made a deal to purchase one of them on December 31 2015.
I took the ejector pin off the new S&W and put it on my father-in law's gun.



The very talented gunsmith that worked on all three of these revolvers.
He made a replacement ejector pin for the second S&W and tuned these revolvers so they all index properly.
I am very pleased with what he did.

 
Verry interesting storys !

I don't know much about my antiques i have a french mle 1892 nickel plated and a Webley MK1**. If only they could talk...

Olivier,

Your nickel plated M1892 was most probably a officers own purchased gun and not a issued one, was it engraved - "Ecole Speciale Militaire" on the barrel?

Like this one -

http://2.bp.########.com/_4llJaBSn8B0/TSyg0OR6h_I/AAAAAAAAAZA/RuWoO_RlzeA/s1600/fren1892u990.jpg
 
I did not have any involvement with the work done on the Remington-Rider Double Action New Model Belt Revolver.
The fellow that wanted to trade the gun to me was interacting with the gunsmith.
From what I understand this early double action revolver had a very complicated mechanism that took quite some time to fix.

The story regarding the '51 Colt Navy started when a fellow responded to an ad in a local newspaper that was placed there by the dealer that I bought the gun from.
This dealer (Peter) is not involved with antique Colt revolvers he is a Luger guy.
Whoever put the ad together at the newspaper used a photo of a Model 1860 Colt Army revolver instead of a Luger.
The fellow that had just found the Colt Navy in the basement of the tavern responded to the ad saying that he had one of these pistols.



Peter called me the day that he took possession of the Colt (October 14 2015) asking me questions and I sent him photos of what a Martial Navy Colt should look like.
He had not made a deal at that point for the gun so no price was discussed with me.
He brought the Colt to my house on October 16 2015 and I bought it.

The seller in my kitchen on October 16 2015.



The hammer would only retract about one quarter of an inch so there was definitely some work to be done.
I doubt that I would have gone to the effort if it had been an ordinary '51 Colt Navy but because it was martially marked I decided to go for it as these guns are rather scarce.



Peter and I took the Colt to the gunsmith on October 22 2015 and that was my first meeting with Jason.
Peter knew him well and he was picking up some Luger parts while we were at the gun shop.

I got a call on January 14 2016 saying that the Colt was ready to be picked up.

On December 31 2015 I bought a second S&W No.2 for parts.
The seller with the S&W on December 31 2015.



Assembly number 95 on various components.





Serial number on the right grip panel with assembly number 95 on the frame.



Serial number 49633 on the bottom of the grip strap.



I went to pick up the Colt on January 15 2016 and dropped off the two S&Ws.
I got a call on Saturday morning January 16 2016 saying that the two S&Ws were ready to be picked up.
Monday January 18 2016 I went to pick up the two S&Ws.
The recently purchased S&W (bottom) had a nice replacement ejector pin---and no other parts were needed.



January 18 2016---picking up the two S&Ws.

 
Back
Top Bottom