To scope or not to scope?

To scope or not a 577-450 Martini carbine

  • Stay with original ladder sight

    Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Go with aftermarket express sights

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Vintage scope

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Scout scope or "custom" 3x9 scope mount

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    19
  • Poll closed .

CMichaud

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
Have been working on prepping an old Webley Martini in 577-450 with a carbine barrel. Plan was to give to my son when he gets older. It will go off shortly for a rust re-blue. I had originally planned to put a vintage scope on it from MVA but am now dithering. What would you guys do?

1) Leave original
2) Order up some express sights
3) Vintage scope a la MVA
4) Rig up a scout scope or make a custom bolt on mount (ugly?) and put a modern conventional scope on it?
 
It is not a long range rig. Keep the clean lines and handling characteristics of iron sights. I personally would stay with the originals, unless the rifle had been altered from it's original form. If it has been altered, I would again either stay with the originals, or perhaps an express sight, depending on the look you were going for, and how well they function.
 
I would go with a rear tang style sight I did one with a new barrel in 577 snider works well and doesn't look too out of place it's the top one in the rack
PC060158.jpg
 
Dez

Is that tang mounted direct to the wood or does the Mak IV have a tang?

Oh and I like #2 and #4

What is the site on the bottom one and how is it mounted

the sight on the MKIV is just mounted on the wood the other is a redfeild and is mounted on the side and is my 100 yrd target rifle it works very well with a front globe sight as long as you are not shooting long range the one mounted on the wood holds zero very well but does need to be reset on some times. I can take a closer pic of the bottom one if you like it is a martini tanner with set triggers and a Ron Smith barrel in 45-70.
 
Back
Top Bottom