To Sporterize Or Not

Dogfish858

Regular
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Hi there:

I just picked up an Enfield made Martini Henry cavalry carbine. The gun is missing the cleaning rod and front blade sight, but is otherwise intact though terribly dirty with 'dusty' rust. I bought it for parts. Is there any historical value here or should I stick to original plans? No unit marks anywhere.
 
New front sight blade is super duper easy to make. With a touch of patience and time a hacksaw, a couple of files and some sandpaper is all you need. Well, and the skill to handle the files in a manner that produces nice work.

And a cleaning rod can likely be found with a little searching.

So I vote that you clean it up and get it shooting again if there are no other issues.
 
I think I'm convinced. Somewhere in the sands of time the pins were replaced with peened iron nails. Works great but definite center drill territory if I can't bump the material up with cold chisels.
 
Well the peened pins were a hassle. The breech block required drill, chisel, and countersink as the pin expanded on its whole length and is fused to the breech block. The holes in the action are now slightly enlarged. I'll have to drill and ream the block then cut another pin.
 
Back
Top Bottom