Tom arrived today

Bland

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My 16 ga. arrived today in the mail. Just like Christmas. The firing pins need work, she has definitely been used but not abused. The barrels are absolutely clean. The stock is worn and there has been some work on the very thinnest part. She fits and feels just right. I am 5'7'' and these guns were probably designed with short ass people like me in mind. The company will send me some provenance on her with her manufacture date and the first person she was sold to for a fee. That should be interesting.
 
My rose coloured glasses were on when describing the bores as absolutely clean. Closer inspection by a competent gunsmith indicates pitting. The action is sound however. My heart says low pressure shot will work in this gun but my head says it is a wall hanger. Given what research has indicated about damascus barrels and pitting shooting this beauty is not a smart move. This old girl fits me like a glove. To buy a modern gun as well balanced as this is definitely out of the budget. I have been struggling with this decision since my visit with the gunsmith. At this point trading it off to someone as a wall hanger would remove the temptation. Probably the only smart move left as I know my predilection for risk taking.
 
If you reload or know someone that does it shouldn't be to hard to load some 2 1/2" black powder shells with light loads.Let the old girl speak,oh sorry I forgot you said Tom arrived today.If you feel uncomfortable shooting a old shottie tie it to a tire and put a long lanyard on the trigger and let it rip from a safe distance.If that is to much to bear put up a WS or WTT in the EE with some pics. There are enough of us out there that would take it of your hands.
 
I think the real question re safety is how deep are the pits and how thick are the barrels. A fairly high percentage of old damascus doubles have some pitting but as long as they are only a few thousandths deep and your barrels are say .020" thick over the pits, they should be safe for light loads.

A lot of people will say that damascus barrels are unsafe with any load but I think that reflects a mixture of covering their bum as well as unfamiliarity with antique guns

cheers mooncoon
 
The gunsmith said the pitting was bad enough that it raised questions for him. He said he would probably shoot it but would in no way recommend that I do so. He also mentioned he was not known for his cautionary approach to things. An honest assessment for which he charged me nothing. I have been beating this around for a while and have decided to err on the side of caution. My wife has always hoped for progress in this area. I have listed it in the trading area and there is interest. The learning curve has been steep but very interesting. Thanks to all for the sound advice and I will update as the next step is concluded.
 
I concluded a trade on the weekend with a fellow CGN member. That trading/selling forum is very efficient. I was concerned about moving the Bland along but it was no problem whatsoever. I am now awaiting the arrival of an L.C. Smith sxs circa 1901. It is a 12 ga. which was not my first choice, however it is in primo shape. I am going to try it with the Gamebore loads which are low pressure (approx. 8000psi) relative to most modern ammo. My idea is this will reduce the recoil somewhat. The 12 gauge flinch I developed as a kid was with a $5 special. This is a well balanced gun and will probably not kick like a mule. Hopefully I will get comfortable and be able to shoot this old girl properly. While researching low pressure loads the reloading game did beckon me. This will probably be a natural progression as I will not be happy until I find another 16 ga. built like that Bland. It simply fit me like a glove. The L.C. Smith may just fit that need.
 
An L.C. Smith circa 1901 in primo shape is a very desirable double. I'll look forward to seeing photos.
 
Picked up the L.C. Smith 12 gauge the other day. She is in very good shape and feels right. I am not allowed to post attachments, when I figure that part of the forum out I will put up a few photos. Have not had a chance to run any rounds through her yet. The etching is in good order, the stock chequering is excellent and bores are clean. Not as elegant as the Bland 16 gauge but a solid, safe hunting gun which is what I wanted. On the whole this has been a positive experience. The fellow who now has the T. and S. Bland will update me when he has her cleaned up. I realise it not logical to feel sentimental about an inanimate object but I guess that is an interest we all share.
 
There is nothing wrong with the L.C.Smiths.They are a good solid reliable shotgun.Some may say they are a little heavy, but you will find the extra weight helps when it comes to recoil especially with a 12 gauge.Don't think of changing your handle from Bland to Smith just yet.You still have to experiance Sauer,Greener and Fox.
 
Back
Top Bottom