Took the golf ball mortar/cannon out again!

drache

BANNED
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
BANNED
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
My poor camera doesn't do the sound of the blast justice until you hear it in slow motion! :D

[youtube]Wn_VU92TKb8[/youtube]

[youtube]OIFiRVAY_oY[/youtube]
 
did you drill and bore a hole or buy seamless tubing and make an end cap, either way good job, now to go figure out the OD of a golf ball :onCrack:
 
did you drill and bore a hole or buy seamless tubing and make an end cap, either way good job, now to go figure out the OD of a golf ball :onCrack:

I did not make it, a family friend had it made for him. He used it for many years then one day I found it sitting out back behind his place in a snow bank. I took it home, cleaned it up, sprayed it down with black Krylon and I keep having fun.

It's made though with a solid piece with a hole drilled out, no welds at all. Very strong.

As for the diameter of a golf ball, 1.68 inches, give or take. Some golf balls are a hair larger though but I've never had a problem.
 
I know the guy I got it off of had another one that he would load 4 empty shotgun shells full to the brim of FFG black powder into it to fire off a golf ball. That always made me jump when that thing went off.

cou:


That cannon was stolen a long time ago and then this one was made. This one was used only a couple times then put into a shed. That shed collapsed and it was just set outside and forgotten until I found it. This cannon probably weighs close to 100 lbs. Made from a solid piece of metal and the bore was drilled out. Walls are 1" thick, maybe a little more.
 
Sounds like you finally found a source for powder and fuse.....
carefull , these things are addictive......

Fuse is actually pretty easy now that someone brings it into Quesnel. Powder has gone up in price to $35 a pound but it's also brought into the same store.
 
I was a little worried when I first got into "cannoneering" as I figured I'd blow myself up. But one that that really helped me get over that nervousness is this cannon. Like I said, the bore is drilled from a solid piece of metal. No welds to wonder about. The thickness of the walls are almost the same as the diameter of the bore.
 
Back
Top Bottom