Toxic primers?

RoscoeP

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Location
Comox, BC
My local gun store only sells Federal golden eagle for my 9mm. The red box is $13.99 and the white box is $14.99. The white box says Toxic metal free primers on it. What exactly are they talking about here. Is this something that will harm my health or my gun like corrosive ammo? I only shoot outdoors so should I spend the extra buck or not? The brass actually looks better on the red box stuff. The toxic free brass has a dotted line around the center of the brass. Any info appreciated. Cheers
 
Modern non-corrosive primers use Lead Styphnate as the primary explosive. Lead = toxic.

Unless you are shooting indoor, is is fine. You are exposed to many more nasty chemical elsewhere.
 
Lead poisoning is overrated. Who wants kids anyway :p

Hmm. I had quite a scare when my wife got pregnant this past spring, and then I found out a few months later that our indoor range was being shut down due to lead contamination and air handling equipment that hadn't been operating properly for 5 years.

Unfortuantely, my wife miscaried (most likely unrelated), but you can damn well bet I'm going to be a lot more careful where/when/how I shoot before we try again.
 
SPRTN308, can you come and be my accountant? I love a man who can add one plus one and get a thousand! Too bad about your wife's miscairrage. But really, how much time did you spend on the firing line at your range? I mean, are you a professional shooting instructor, or a paid full time range officer, or a guy who is lucky to get to the range once a week for a couple of hours. If the latter, I expect your blood lead levels well below the national average, the amount of lead particulate contamination you brought home for your family insignificant, and totally irrelevant.

S**t happens. Trying to connect unrelated but coincident events is the purviiew of high priests and politicians. Shooters should be more analytical, and require demonstartable facts to support conclusions or allegations.
 
This again....


Nearly all primers contain lead styphnate. These also contain tetracene and barium nitrate. SINOXID-type.

These replaced corrosive primers that contained lead styphnate and potassium chlorate. Think surplus soviet stuff.

The next generation primers are the SINTOX line of primers, that replace the primary explosive component(styphnate) with diazodinitrophenol, and the barium nitrate with zinc and titanium materials. This is what you have.

It is just fine for your gun and requires no more cleaning than the leaded stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom