Traditions Black powder percussion caps question

skneub

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
80   0   1
So heres what happened and why.
plus a question.

I bought a flintlock on the exchange here lol.
then i went looking for supplys to shoot it..

Anywho lol....i think its cool.

But the local shop is having a huge sale.
and closing out.

There was this real sweet looking rifle in .50 cal
and i kinda bought it..bullets ffg and a measure.

Knowing i would find good safe loading data for it.

Unfortunately they had no caps.
and the salesman couldent remember if i needed number 10 or 11.

I found number 10

Is this what i needed ?

It would knda suck to gift it on Christmas day...and not be able to shoot it


UPDATE : I snuck the thing out and tested a cap#10 on the nipple
It seems to fit just fine, so I guess the question was a waste lol
But for the next guy

20141207_104221_zps5yd7t365.jpg~original
 
Last edited:
Generally speaking, #10 caps are for cap & ball revolvers while #11 caps are for rifles and single shot pistols. #10 tend to fit tighter so recoil won't shake them off and jam the revolver and they are often a very tight fit on a nipple intended for #11 caps. If they work for you then all is well but try to find some #11 caps in the meantime.
 
They will work. May have to make a slight cut in the cap to open it up depending on your nipple size. Although I have use them in the past without too much issue.

Depends on the gun too. Some nipples are bigger than other ;) hahaha

Cheers McLean
 
h ttps://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/Tennessee-.50-cal-percussion-select-hardwood-blued
That is the exact one iI picked up.
thought very hard about the flintlock version.
But thinking 4fg powder might be tricky to get here..

Lol ^^^^ yep that is soooo true
hopefully it dont come to that.
i think i will look here at the vendors and see about shipping some number 11s
if they dont fit
 
You don't need 4 f to prime. I always use 3 for charge and prime in everything from my .36 to .75 2 f can be used too but it can sometimes pose problems if you aren't sparking well.
 
Your post said you bought a flintlock- no cap will fit!! My solution for you is this-I also at one time got a good deal on #10 caps so I took the nipple out -chucked in in my drill with black tape protecting the threads and used 120 grit emory paper to sand the diameter of the nipple down to #10 size. It doesn't take much to get done on the taper. A new nipple is only 3-6 dollars so becomes sacrificial. In my case I bought 1000 caps for 35- at a gun show. Cheers
 
Your post said you bought a flintlock- no cap will fit!! My solution for you is this-I also at one time got a good deal on #10 caps so I took the nipple out -chucked in in my drill with black tape protecting the threads and used 120 grit emory paper to sand the diameter of the nipple down to #10 size. It doesn't take much to get done on the taper. A new nipple is only 3-6 dollars so becomes sacrificial. In my case I bought 1000 caps for 35- at a gun show. Cheers

Sorry..i said i bought a flintlock here..as in the exchange.
while shopping for supplys...i kinda bought a second black powder rifle ;-)

Thats a good idea lol , but it would kinda be a shame on a new rifle
 
Sooner or later you will be getting #11's, and Christmas is a ways off. Shipping caps is a problem so enlist a friend that is going to Edmonton to stop at Cabellas, or Wholesale to pick up some for you.
For the Flinter, Cabellas sells 4F and a pound lasts a long time. 3F will work just fine as charge and pan if you don't have 4F, and 2F will also work . Get some real flints too.
 
Track of the Wolf sells nipples that fit the larger hotter musket caps as well. I found 10 will not burn because there is no strike on the nipple head.

I got my eye on Macleans squirrel gun for my flintlock but with Xmas and pending retirement......
 
The only way to tell for sure is to let the hammer drop on one of the caps and see if it goes off.

To be set off the cap must rest the compound in the cup against the rim of the nipple. It's the pinching action between this "anvil" and the hammer face that sets them off. If there's a gap because the cap doesn't fit correctly the first hammer fall will swage the cup out and the second hammer fall will set the cap off.

For the cost of ONE nipple I'd strongly suggest you buy one which is known to work with #10's and simply switch nipples depending on your current supply of caps. That way you've got your bases covered.
 
Back
Top Bottom