Traditions Buckstalker, and the Lee Real bullet, anyone using it?

John Y Cannuck

RichPoorMan<br>Super Moderator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'd like to do a bit of shooting with the rifle, and to cut costs, I'm looking to cast. The rifle has a fairly fast twist for soft lead, 28 I think. so I was looking at the heavier Lee Real bullet as an option. Anyone try it?
 
I have the same rifle and was thinking of casting a pistol bullet to use in a sabot. Maybe finding a bullet to paper patch would also work. I have tried. The lee real bullet in a few rifles, and was not too impressed with it. Right now I am hunting with a PR 330g hp lead bullet in a sabot pushed by 90g of Blackhorn. Accuracy is good and performance has been great, but it is too much for anything other than deer hunting. !et us know if what results you get.
 
I've been reading reviews, it seems the results for the REAL are all over the map. I'm thinking of going with the heavier bullet to slow it down a tad in the fast twist as I already said, and probably will go with 777. I have some Pyrodex, and some FFg to play with too. All granular, so I can play with the loads.
 
A few years ago I did a bunch of load tests with 1 in 48" and 1 in 32" I think it was, and the real and lee mini bullets. The mini was even small enough to lightly paper patch, and it gave very good accuracy in both barrels. The real did quite well in the faster twist barrel, but I think it had more to with the tightness of the barrel, it was a TC white mountain, and kicked like a Mule with either bullet. if you find something that works with 2f black powder let me know, I have 2 lbs sitting around doing nothing. I wouldn't mind having a cheap load to play with this coming summer. Have you tried balls with a light load?
 
I just got the rifle, and have yet to even clean the bore. All the gun shops are shut 'till New years around here, so it will be a bit before I get going. I am set up for casting, except for the mold, but a bit low on soft lead. Have to get feelers out on that.
 
Too bad you are so far, I could give you some if you were closer. I have a couple of roof flashings that I haven't even cleaned up yet. I ran off a bunch of .490 balls for my wife's muzzleloader this fall, but I don't have any other molds left around.
 
Back
Top Bottom