Jus wondering if anyone here has any experience with this kit I am near the finish line with mine down to sanding then staining.
I drilled the holes for the pins which wasn't to bad not sure how long it will stay tight as the holes are not as tight as i would like. However the directions say to sand down to flush, if I do that I won't have much wood left the pins are a bit longer then the width of the barrel. unless I got to short of pins?
I can see I will need punch to put this in and out for now on which I would bet at some point I am going to damage the wood and my finish or the pins become loose over time.
Any advice?
the stock will swell a bit when you stain it anyway ~ as Philhut says 'swell it a bit' - finish the gun off and if the pins are still an issue then address them (they can wait

)
- the pins do not need to be flush with the stock, I find it looks better if you don't see the pins anyway. cut them shorter than the stock - or flush, it's your gun
- to prevent them from blowing the wood out:
--> always clear the holes with the same size (drill) bit as the hole itself before removing the pins
--> taper (slightly) the ends of the pins
--> always drive them in from one side and out from the other. (traditionally in from the right, out from the left)
--> polish the pins, use drill rod, drill bits or tool steel ...
--> once stained & finished you can use some extra thin CA glue (any hobby shop) - a little drop in each hole. clear with a drill bit when cured.
--> if the pins are still loose make new ones, find letter or number sized drills just slightly larger than the loose ones & use those.
If the pins are still loose, you may have to replace the lugs and re-drill (you can use the same holes in the stock)
In that situation when you go to drill the new holes, use a bit of overpressure when clamping the barrel to the stock, not enough to ding up or dent the stock, just enough to compress it a bit. then drill. when the clamp is removed the holes will be ever so slightly out of alignment - you will have to squeeze the barrel and stock in your hand to get the pins in (this is where a slight taper helps as well) That being said - the quality of the hole is directly related to the quality of the tool making it - drill bits from the hardware (Crappy Tire) are rarely particularly straight or round - they almost always make over sized holes... fine for general purpose, but if you want some precision buy some cobalt (tipped) jobber drills from KBC the size you need will be around $3/$4 each may as well get some of the same sized drill rod while you are there

for drilling into metal you want a 135^ split point.
https://www.kbctools.ca/CatSearch/8...int Angle","Drill Point Angle","135° Split"]]
I like the 'Precision Twist Drill" brand - have not used the KBC brand.